Baked Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets. These are my new favorite things. It’s quinoa, it’s chicken, and it’s crispy! A simple and delicious comfort food you can feed your family without sacrificing their health.
Transforming “bad” meals into good meals is definitely one of my favorite pastimes. Everytime I eat out, I am thinking of ways to turn my restaurant meal into an easy and healthy home cooked one! Something that is always a popular menu item for kids are chicken nuggets. They are delicious, no doubt about it, but not healthy by any means. They definitely needed to be recreated in a healthy way!
Zellie and I used to go back and forth about the inclusion of quinoa on Living Chirpy, and we finally decided to go ahead and eat the occasional bowl of quinoa when South African low-carb pioneer Prof. Tim Noakes included some quinoa recipes in a cookbook he co-authored. Obviously, it does have a high carb level, BUT also contains so much other good stuff that the occasional quinoa consumption will only do you good – like serving our Simple Veggie Quinoa as a side for your next dinner!
These nuggets though! They’re so easy to make and it’s totally worth it. It’s like a healthy meal in the form of nuggets. It can’t get any better. I’ve noticed that I pretty much say that with every recipe we post, but it’s just so true! There’s nothing better than eating super delicious food and knowing that not only does it taste great, but it’s also healthy! It makes me feel so good about life in general. That’s why we say Chirpy food = Chirpy mood! And baked quinoa crusted chicken nuggets is “Chirpy” food indeed!
Quinoa is incredibly delicious and versatile, and I can’t wait to experiment more with it. That will have to wait until mid March, though, because that’s when I’m finally heading back to the USA!! It’s been a long and difficult process to get the visa I need to get married, but we’ve finally reached that elusive last hurdle. Yay for us! Then Chirpy will finally be back to normal. Full steam ahead!
Baked Quinoa Crusted Chicken NuggetsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 • large chicken breast [cut into nugget sized pieces]
- 1 cup • cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp • coriander
- 1 tsp • paprika
- 1/2 tsp • dried mixed herbs
- 1 • egg
- to taste • salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- [Quinoa: Bring 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water or vegetable broth to the boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked dry. Season well with salt and pepper, then add the coriander, paprika, and herbs. Set aside to cool.]
- Beat the egg and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and toss to ensure each piece in covered in egg.
- Take a small bit of quinoa and cover each piece of chicken, just enough to cover the chicken, not too thick.
- Arrange the quinoa crusted chicken on a prepared baking tray.
- Slide into the oven for 20 minutes and under the broiler for 1-2 minutes per side for added crispness.
Pin It! Baked Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets