This recipe is sponsored by Sugardale. Click here to learn more about Sugardale – a family-owned company that has been in business for nearly a century. Tap these links to check out their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.-
Bacon… sweet, sweet bacon. It’s one of those things I just couldn’t imagine my life without. When I made the decision to create some sweet potato tots for Living Chirpy, there was no doubt in my mind that the one and only way to take these tots to the next level was to include, of course, my dear friend bacon. There’s just something about sweet potato and bacon, amirite?
My secret weapon that sets these Cheesy Bacon & Scallion Sweet Potato Tots apart from the rest is the use of hickory smoked bacon, specifically Sugardale’s Hickory Smoked Bacon. There’s just no denying that unique and perfect smokey-sweet flavor! It’s my top choice of bacon and for good reason!
Sugardale’s Hickory Smoked Bacon a.k.a “regular sliced bacon” (available in 12oz, 1lb and 3lb packs) is one of the most popular varieties of bacon, thanks to their historic and secret blend of ingredients that’s been closely guarded for nearly – wait for it, a 100 years! Apart from the obvious (100 years in business…), you’ll just have to trust me on this one – it’s the bomb! Not only is it the perfect fit for these sweet potato tots, it’s also my number one choice for breakfast (hello eggs and bacon!), crisped and sprinkled over a salad, or wrapped around a juicy steak.
About these tots, though. As you all know by now, I love taking things back to basics. Short ingredient lists are my number one priority when it comes to which recipes I choose to cook. You don’t need lots of fancy stuff to make food taste good – ain’t nobody got time for that! It’s all about choosing the right ingredients and making the right flavor combinations. Keep it simple.
Sweet potatoes, fresh scallions, medium cheddar, and that good ol’ Sugardale Hickory Smoked Bacon is all you need to create these gobble down good tots. PLUS – they are also ridiculously easy to make: Peel and chop the potatoes and boil until fork tender, mash them up roughly and mix with everything else, form into tater tot shapes and shallow fry for a minute or so on each side. You’d be hard-pressed to resist devouring these quicker than you’re able to cook them. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
As a final FYI, because you know I’m always here to hook you up with the best of the best, Sugardale Bacon is also available in these delicious varieties:
- Thick Sliced
- Extra Thick Sliced
- Center Cut
- Applewood Smoked
- Lower Sodium
- Pre-Cooked Ready Bacon®
Cheesy Bacon Scallion Sweet Potato Tots Recipe:
- 2 • small sweet potatoes [peeled cut into cubes and boiled until fork tender. approximately 20 minutes]
- 8 • strips of Sugardale Hickory Smoked Bacon [cooked until crispy then chopped]
- 1/2 cup • fresh chopped scallions
- 1 cup • grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp • paprika to taste • salt and pepper
- • oil for frying
- Roughly mash the sweet potato cubes with a fork. Should fill about 2 cups when mashed.
- Add the chopped bacon, fresh scallions, cheese, and paprika.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once you’re happy with the flavor, roll the mixture into 1”/3cm long tater tot shapes. [If you’re having trouble working with the mixture, you can keep it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to stiffen it up a little bit.]
- Shallow fry the tots in a pan for about one minute per side, or as soon as they get dark - there's no beautiful golden color for sweet potatoes unfortunately! [The oil should be deep enough to cover the tots halfway.]
- Drain on some paper towels and serve with ketchup!
What’s your favorite bacon recipe? Tell me in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 9/1/2016 – 9/30/2016