As you can probably tell, we are majorly obsessed with quinoa at the moment. This Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Mushrooms and Green Pepper is inspired by a recipe we used to make with cous cous, and as we all know – Quinoa is infinitely healthier than cous cous. Quinoa is a whole grain, and thus healthy when enjoyed in moderation. We’ll probably keep singing the quinoa praises in every quinoa recipe we do!
The great thing about this recipe is not only the fact that it needs only 6 ingredients, but that it can be enjoyed both hot and cold. We love to have this as a hot side to chicken or as a standalone salad for lunch. We love to serve this with Organic Greek Yoghurt Salad Dressing whether hot or cold. That is the secret ingredient!
The other great thing, as with the majority of Living Chirpy recipes, is the fact that is takes only about 10-15 minutes to cook and 20 minutes overall if you’re a fast chopper! While the quinoa cooks, you sauté up together the bacon, onion, mushrooms and green pepper. As soon as the quinoa is cooked, everything gets tossed together and voila! You’re done!
In other news, we are getting closer and closer everyday to putting the final touches on our floor plan to our tiny house and we are just itching to get started on building it. Our goal is to have it done within the next 6 months. As soon as all the initial paperwork is done and we order our custom 28′ trailer, we are going to document the whole process over on our youtube channel. So, be on the lookout for that!
What I’m most excited about is the fact that we’ll have an awesome kitchen space with brand new appliances and a lot more counter space than we currently have PLUS lots of windows for taking our food photos in natural light. It’s all very exciting stuff ????
Back to this Quinoa Salad though – it’s quick, it’s easy, it’s healthy, it’s bla bla bla. It’s your typical simple delicious Living Chirpy recipe!
Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Mushrooms and Green PepperPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup • quinoa
- 2 cups • water
- 4 • bacon strips [chopped]
- 1/2 • green pepper [chopped]
- 1/2 • onion [chopped]
- 1 cup • chopped mushrooms
- to taste • salt and pepper
- optional • greek yoghurt dressing
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil. Add the cup of quinoa. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is soaked up. Approximately 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, toss the rest of the ingredients into a pan and sauté until cooked, approximately 10 minutes.
- When everything is done, mix it together, add salt and pepper if needed and done!
- We like to eat it hot or cold, and we add some organic yoghurt greek dressing both ways. [We find our favorite at Harris Teeter.]
Pin it! Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Mushrooms and Green Pepper!