This is THE BEST easy Low Carb Keto Green Bean Casserole recipe. Only 7 Fresh Ingredients and 30 Minutes needed for this healthy, made from scratch side dish. Keto. Low-Carb. Gluten-Free!
Use the “Jump To Recipe” button above to skip ahead to the recipe card, but don’t be too hasty – the post contains all the tips and tricks.
It’s not Thanksgiving without a classic green bean casserole on the table, amirite?
The problem is that most traditional green bean casserole recipes found on the internet uses pre-made ingredients like cream of mushroom soup, or frozen beans.
Even if you weren’t looking for a wholesome low carb and keto-friendly green bean casserole recipe, it’s always better to use fresh ingredients – fresh green beans, fresh mushrooms. You just can’t compare it to the flavor of a casserole made with pre-made ingredients.
Making a fresh green bean casserole recipe from scratch is by far the best way to go. Your family will definitely appreciate absolutely delicious taste experience of wholesome ingredients.
What sets our green bean casserole recipe apart from the rest is the fact that it is a healthy recipe, using only whole ingredients.
How to make Keto Green Bean Casserole From Scratch:
What’s In Green Bean Casserole:
In a healthy, made from scratch green bean casserole, you only need a few simple fresh ingredients:
- Fresh green beans
- Fresh Button Mushrooms
- Chicken Stock
- Cream Cheese
- Grated Cheddar
And then, a couple of spices, salt and pepper.
If you judge this recipe by the flavor of the dish alone, you’ll never know that this is a healthy, fresh recipe. It stands up to any of the best classic green bean recipes out there!
Even though you’re cooking from scratch and using only fresh ingredients, this recipe is ridiculously quick and easy.
This is how to do it:
- Start by boiling fresh green beans in well salted water until fork tender. It takes about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside when done. (Photo 1)
- While waiting on the green beans to boil, sauté onions and mushrooms plus the spices, until soft. (Photo 2 and 3)
- The chicken/vegetable stock and cream cheese goes in next! Stir until the cream cheese is melted and everything is well combined. (Photo 4 and 5)
- Once everything is warm and bubbly, add the cooked green beans and mix well. (Photo 6)
- Scrape everything into a casserole dish and top with grated cheddar. (Photo 7)
- Pop it into oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. (Photo 8)
For an optional yummy topping, I like to slice onions and coat them lightly in a bit of coconut flour. I then shallow fry them in oil (in a pan) until they are golden. It’s really quick to do and adds another element of deliciousness.
The onions won’t fry super crispy, but it does definitely add very good flavor to the dish as a whole.
Healthy Low Carb Green Bean Casserole Variations:
I feel that a classic green bean casserole is best, but sometimes a little variation doesn’t hurt.
So, here some ideas of ways to spruce things up a little bit:
- Bacon. Probably the most common variation is the addition of bacon. It does add a delicious spin to the recipe!
- Red Bell Pepper. Adding red bell pepper to the recipe not only gives a satisfying pop of color but the flavor of red bell pepper really complements the dish in a unique way.
- Almonds. An interesting addition to green bean casserole is adding chopped almonds, or almond slivers. Green beans and almonds are a classic duo, and it gives a satisfying crush to an otherwise monotonously textured dish.
It’s easy to stay on the keto track this Thanksgiving by cooking Keto Recipes that do not compromise any flavor!
What goes with Keto Green Bean Casserole:
Most of the classic Thanksgiving dishes has Low-Carb and Keto approved versions and all of these are great dishes to eat with this green bean casserole.
- Thanksgiving Turkey (obviously!) from mypcoskitchen.com
- Garlic Butter Herb Prime Rib from therecipecritic.com
- Glazed Ham from havebutterwilltravel.com
- Cauliflower “Mashed Potatoes” from fifteenspatulas.com
- Keto Pumpkin Pie by wholesomeyum.com
- Roasted Vegetables with Brussels Sprouts by sweetandavorymeals.com
Of course, this is an amazingly delicious green bean casserole and it doesn’t need to be thanksgiving for you to enjoy this with any dinner. It’s even great for weeknights – yes, it’s that easy to make!
Here’s a another roundup with 10 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes for Thanksgiving to get you started on planning your perfect Keto Thanksgiving.
These recipes are so delicious and I guarantee the family won’t even know they’re eating healthy versions of classic thanksgiving recipes.
Can Green Bean Casserole Be Made Ahead?
Yes! The beauty of this recipe is that is can be made ahead and baked when you’re ready to eat it.
I generally complete all the steps except the “sliding it into the oven” part, and instead covered it carefully with foil and refrigerate right away. It will be good for at least 3 days in the fridge before baking.
Then, when you’re ready to eat it, slide it into a 350F/180C oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes – checking that it’s heated all the way through. Afterwards, crank up the heat and leave until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Can Green Bean Casserole Be Frozen?
This recipe can be made ahead and frozen for up to two weeks, if properly sealed. Cover the casserole dish with foil and then a layer of cling film.
When you’re ready to eat, remove the cling film and slide into a preheated (350F/180C) oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through.
Followed by a few minutes under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
If you made this recipe – please leave a comment and rating! We LOVE hearing you feedback, as it helps us improve our recipes!
The Best Easy Low Carb Keto Green Bean Casserole
- 3 cups fresh green beans (sliced into smaller pieces)
- 2.5 cups button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 1 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cheddar (grated)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- to taste salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF
- Boil the green beans in well salted water until fork tender. Approximately 10 minutes. Drain the water and set aside. (IMPORTANT: The water for boiling the green beans should be WELL salted – think sea water salty).
- While the green beans boil, sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic until caramelized. Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
- Add the chicken stock and be sure to scrape all the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cream cheese and allow to melt and warm up. Taste test and add salt if needed.
- Mix in the green beans until everything is evenly combined and transfer everything into a casserole dish.
- Top with cheddar and pop into the oven until the cheese is melted and bubble. About 10 minutes.