This is a recipe for Greek Meatballs baked in the oven. It’s great as an appetizer, lunch or dinner - also great served in tomato sauce. 8 simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes. Gluten-Free. Low-Carb. Keto.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb ground beef (500g)
- 1 egg
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ cup fresh dill (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven 400ºF/200ºC.
Sauté the onion in a bit of olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Put the ground beef in a large mixing bowl and add the spinach and onion mix, feta cheese, salt, pepper, dill and egg.
Mix until well combined and start rolling the meatballs. Ours were a little over an inch (3cm) in diameter.
Heat up some of the olive oil in a large pan to a medium/high heat. Add the meatballs and sear each side for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a baking sheet. I do it in 2-3 batches.
Once all the meatballs are seared, slide the sheet into oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, to ensure the insides are cooked.
Tips and Tricks:
1. It’s not strictly necessary to sear these meatballs. You can also pop them straight into the oven and bake them from completely raw. It will need at least 10 extra minutes in the oven if you decide to do this.
2. Beef meatballs are cooked when they reach an internal temperature of 165F/73C. Invest in a meat thermometer!
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 770mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6604IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 3mg