Stop searching - This is the best and yummiest Tuna Cakes recipe you’ll ever find. Only 8 ingredients and 30 minutes needed. Gluten-Free. Paleo. Whole 30. Makes 12 tuna patties.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time20 minutes mins
Total Time30 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
- 3 cans Tuna
- Olive Oil (to taste)
- 2 Sweet Potato (Approximately 2 Cups Chopped)
- 1 Red Pepper (Finely Diced)
- 1 Yellow Onion (Finely Diced)
- 1 Garlic Clove (Minced)
- ¼ cup Chopped Fresh Chives
- ⅛ cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- ½ tablespoon Salt (I used course salt, so use less if you're using fine table salt)
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Fresh Parsley (to taste, for garnish, optional)
Dice the sweet potato into smallish cubes and boil for 10 minutes in salted water. They should be fork tender.
While the sweet potato boils, sauté the diced red pepper and onion in a little bit of oil until the onion is soft.
Now mix everything together in a mixing bowl until well combined. I use a wooden spoon to smash the potato as I mix, leaving slightly chunky.
Form the mixture into fish cakes. I used ¼ cup per cake and this yielded 12 cakes.
Heat up oil in skillet over a medium high heat. Once the pan is hot - carefully place the fish cakes in the pan and allow them to get a good golden brown sear on each side. Let them sit for at least 3 minutes per side.
Once cooked, serve immediately with a drizzle of Sriracha sauce or a dollop of mayonnaise.
Tips and Tricks:
1. I used 6oz water packed tuna cans. I drained the water. Although, it is not an exact science. Slightly smaller, or oil packed cans will work fine.
2. When draining the tuna, be sure to drain the tuna cans WELL, or the mixture might be too runny.
3. Mash the potato with the spoon while combining the ingredients. This help bind the ingredients together in order to form the cakes.
4. To help keep the Tuna Cakes from falling apart, prepare the patties well ahead and refrigerate until ready to cook. When the cakes are cold throughout before cooking, they tend to keep their shape better.
Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.4g | Protein: 38.9g | Fat: 12.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.6g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 977mg | Potassium: 863mg | Fiber: 3.5g | Sugar: 6.7g | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 3.6mg