Low-Carb Mexican Shredded Chicken
This Mexican Shredded Chicken recipe is not only super quick and easy - it is PACKED with flavor and is a sure crowd-pleaser. A handful of spices and less than 20 minutes from start to finish. Gluten-Free. Low-Carb. Keto. Paleo. Whole 30.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (butterflied)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp mexican chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (approximately 1 small lime)
Serving Suggestion: (Optional)
- 12 romaine lettuce (or any lettuce that has a small "cup" form)
- to taste sour cream
- to taste pico de gallo
- to taste black beans
- to taste shredded cheese of choice
Add the chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, salt and spices to a small/medium sauce pan. Be sure that the liquid covers the chicken. Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
Shred the chicken with 2 forks. I like to add it back to the liquid so it can absorbs some of the broth throughout all the shreds.
Tips and Tricks:
1. Once the chicken has been boiling for 10 minutes you can check it with a meat thermometer - 165F/75C
2. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can also just start shredding one piece and check the inside - if it’s still pink in the center, just add it back to the liquid for another few minutes.
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 1699mg | Potassium: 399mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 746IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg