This delicious shredded chicken is juicy and packed with flavor! It’s a versatile recipe that can be used as a base for many others.
This simple stovetop recipe can be completed in about 20 minutes. You’ll only need 8 super simple ingredients to throw this together.
It’s suitable for Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Keto, Paleo, or Whole30 meal plans.
You will need:
- chicken breasts (1lb/500g)
- chicken broth
- our Homemade Taco Seasoning or Mexican Chili Powder
- lemon or lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Toss everything into a pot. (Photo 1 & 2)
- Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes. (This will depend on the size of each individual chicken breast or thigh). (Photo 3)
- Remove chicken from liquid, place on a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken. (Photo 4)
- Return chicken to the pot of liquid. (I find that this helps all the flavor soak into each individual shred of chicken. Making it juicy and packed with deliciousness. It really does make ALL the difference). (Photo 5)
- Serve shredded chicken with tacos, chicken salad, nachos, burritos, you name it! (Photo 6)
On a cutting board or large plate, use two forks to dig into the chicken and tear it apart slowly. Repeat this until the chicken is shredded to your desired consistency.
Usually the chicken breasts or thighs are fully cooked BEFORE shredding. The piece of chicken is cooked when it’s reached an internal temperature of 165F/75C. You could also cut the chicken in half – if the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked.
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (butterflied)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp mexican chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (approximately 1 small lime)
Serving Suggestion: (Optional)
- 12 romaine lettuce (or any lettuce that has a small "cup" form)
- to taste sour cream
- to taste pico de gallo
- to taste black beans
- to taste shredded cheese of choice
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, salt and spices to a small/medium sauce pan. Be sure that the liquid covers the chicken. Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks. I like to add it back to the liquid so it can absorbs some of the broth throughout all the shreds.