I have a slight obsession with Chicken Tacos, or as I lovingly refer to them – Tikken Chakos. I could eat them every single day and I’d probably never get sick of it.
Using lettuce leaves instead of flour tortillas, though, not only makes it a completely healthy meal, but still a flavor-packed “taco”.
If I didn’t supervise, Cody would probably put every meal we make in a flour tortilla, and even he has come to love using lettuce wraps for our low-carb tacos.
So, believe it or not, we love these Low-Carb Shredded Chicken Tacos just as much as the carby kind. I don’t feel bad saying that this is The BEST Shredded Chicken Taco recipes on the internet.
In my opinion, the only way to have chicken tacos is shredded, and when you boil chicken in a super flavorful broth, it really does make all the difference. Not only does this make for incredibly easy cooking, but the flavor is just top notch.
Using just a little chicken broth and a perfect combination of spices, I totally wouldn’t mind eating the shredded chicken and broth as a shredded chicken soup – it’s that delicious!
Now, when you take that and add all the usual chicken taco goodies:
- sour cream,
- fresh Pico de Gallo
- shredded cheese
- (and a few black beans if you’re a bean enthusiast like Cody)
You’re left with mouth-wateringly delicious tacos. I promise.
The best thing about it, though? It barely takes 20 minutes to make from start to finish. Can’t beat that! Mexican Shredded Chicken Tacos for dinner EVERY night!
What to serve with Mexican Shredded Chicken Tacos:
Back to low-carb tacos. If you’re into this kind of yumminess – check out these other lettuce and low-carb tacos/wraps we have:
Low-Carb Shredded Chicken Tacos – Pin It!
How to make Healthy Shredded Chicken Tacos:
Easy Shredded Chicken Taco Recipe:
Low-Carb Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2 • boneless/skinless chicken breasts [butterflied]
- 2 cups • chicken broth [enough to cover the chicken]
- 2 tsp • chili powder
- 2 tsp • salt
- 1 tsp • cumin
- 1/2 tsp • coriander
- 1/4 tsp • cayenne
- 2 tbsp • lime juice
- 12 • artisan romaine lettuce leafs [or any lettuce that has a small "cup" form]
- to taste • sour cream
- to taste • fresh pico de gallo
- to taste/optional • black beans
- to taste • shredded cheese of choice
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, salt and spices to a small/medium sauce pan. Be sure that the liquid covers the chicken. Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks. I like to add it back to the liquid so it can absorbs some of the broth throughout all the shreds.
- Now assembled you lettuce tacos: lettuce, sour cream, chicken, pico de gallo, black beans and cheese.