How to make delicious mexican shredded chicken that is juicy and packed with flavor. An easy recipe with 8 super simple ingredients, done in 15 minutes. Gluten-Free. Low-Carb. Keto. Paleo. Whole 30.
[Before skipping ahead: the post contains lots of tips, trick and frequently asked questions. Also, the best way to learn how to make this recipe, is by watching the video.]
There’s an art to making juicy shredded chicken and I think I found the secret method for to yummiest juiciest shredded chicken you’ll ever cook.
Forget about making it in the oven. The best way is to do it on the stovetop, simmering in a flavorful broth. It’s much faster too and gives a much, dare I say it again, juicier result.
Simmering chicken in a flavorful broth, shredding it up and then returning it to the broth so every little piece can soak up the flavors and juices! THIS is the secret to the best shredded chicken.
Our easy recipe is not only great for, well, Mexican food – it’s also light and “generic” enough to be used in any recipe.
How To Make Shredded Chicken:
Our recipe is perfect for Mexican or any other meal. It’s super quick and used simple ingredients.
Here’s what you need:
- Chicken Breasts (1lb/500g)
- Chicken Broth
- Our Homemade Taco Seasoning or Mexican Chili Powder
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Toss everything into a pot.
- Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes. (This will depend on the size of each individual chicken breast or thigh).
- Remove chicken from liquid, place on a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Return chicken to the pot of liquid. (I find that this helps all the flavor soak into each individual shred of chicken. Making it juicy and packed with deliciousness. It really does make ALL the difference)
- Serve it up with tacos, chicken salad, nachos, burritos, you name it!
How Do You Shred Chicken?
Okay, so this is just about the easiest thing out there. Once the chicken (you can use chicken breasts or thighs), you put it on a cutting board or large plate.
The most basic method is usually the best way.
Using two forks, dig into the chicken and tear it apart. Repeat this until the chicken is shredded to your desired consistency. You can shred it as much or as little as you like – you’ve got complete control. Personally, I prefer it on the slightly chunkier side.
Pro Tip: Many people looking for very finely shredded chicken, or making BIG batches have great success using a hand mixer to break the meat apart. See THIS quick video from KetoCookingChristian that shows you how to tackle this easy shredding method.
How To Tell If Shredded Chicken Is Cooked:
So, usually the chicken breasts or thighs are fully cooked BEFORE shredding.
If you have a meat thermometer, you can stick it into the thickest part of the chicken. The chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F/75C.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can also LOOK at the chicken. Cut a piece in half – if the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked.
Thus, the shredded bits will also be properly cooked.
Looking For More Healthy Chicken Recipes?
For more healthy low carb keto and paleo Mexican recipes, check out any of these yummy options from our archives, plus some of our personal favorites from other great bloggers.
- Cheesy Cauliflower Rice with Broccoli and Chicken
- Chicken Meatballs
- Instant Pot Paleo Chicken Noodle Soup
- Gourmet Ramen Zoodles with Crispy Chicken
- Cucumber Noodle Salad with BBQ Chicken
- Hearty Chicken Soup by SugarFreeLondoner.com
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by WhatGreatGrandmaAte.com
Did You Make This Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe?
If you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (butterflied)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp mexican chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (approximately 1 small lime)
Serving Suggestion: (Optional)
- 12 romaine lettuce (or any lettuce that has a small "cup" form)
- to taste sour cream
- to taste pico de gallo
- to taste black beans
- to taste shredded cheese of choice
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, salt and spices to a small/medium sauce pan. Be sure that the liquid covers the chicken. Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks. I like to add it back to the liquid so it can absorbs some of the broth throughout all the shreds.
This recipe was first published on September 6, 2016 and was updated on February 25, 2020 to include detailed step-by-step instructions and faqs.