This is an easy Mexican Salad Recipe thrown together in minutes. Made with corn, avocado and a very simple dressing, it’s a surefire crowd-pleaser. 10 Simple Fresh Ingredients, 15 Minutes. Gluten-Free and Healthy.
This salad recipe is a great side dish for any Mexican meal. Enchiladas, Tacos, Fajitas - we’ve got you covered. We personally make this exact recipe for every home cooked Mexican food, because it is so simple and most importantly - it is DELICIOUS!
We love making it as the sole side dish of our very easy Salsa Chicken Recipe. It’s also great with Fish Tacos and Cheesy Tacos.
Using a host of colorful fresh ingredients, it is not only looks beautiful on a dinner plate, but it is a very healthy and nutritious salad: can’t go wrong with high levels of Potassium, Fiber, Vitamin A and C, Calcium - as well as Protein.
So, now let’s jump into the How-To’s!
What's In A Mexican Salad?
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Romaine Lettuce
- Roma Tomatoes
- Green Pepper
- Red Onion
- Black Beans
What Ingredients Do You Need For A Mexican Salad Dressing?
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Mexican Salad:
- Chop all the fresh ingredients (lettuce, tomato, avocado, green pepper, red onion and cilantro) into small pieces and add into large mixing bowl. Then add all the ingredients for the Mexican Salad Dressing on top. (Photo 1)
- Mix well! (Photo 2)
- Serve with your favorite Mexican Meal. In our case, it’s served with our simple and yummy Salsa Chicken. (Photo 3)
How To Make This Recipe Keto, Low-Carb, Paleo and Whole 30 Approved:
If you would like this salad to be approved to your specific diet, you need to omit the corn and black beans.
These are higher carb ingredients and not suitable for all Keto, Low Carb, Paleo or Whole 30 dieters.
You can substitute any salad ingredients that comply to your diet. You can pump up the protein content, but adding some meat (see next section).
How To Make a Mexican Salad with Chicken:
Follow the same steps, but add some shredded cooked chicken (or ground beef, or shrimp). This recipe is a great way to make a light, healthy and filling lunch with any leftover meat you might have from yesterday’s Mexican Dinner.
If you’re looking for even more healthy mexican recipes, check out some of these recipes from our archive, as well as yummy recipes we love from other wonderful food bloggers:
- 11 Keto Mexican Recipes
- 15 Best Keto Mexican Recipes
- All-Purpose Mexican Spice Mix
- 12 Delicious Low-Carb Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Stuffed Skirt Steak
- Enchilada Casserole from HealthyRecipesBlog.com
- Keto Taco Zoodle Casserole from Maebells.com
Easy Chopped Mexican Salad
For The Salad
- 1 cup romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red onion
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup corn
- 2 roma tomatoes
For The Dressing:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lime
- 1 pickled jalapeño (optional, deseeded)
- ¼ cup cilantro (roughly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon gound cumin
- to taste salt and black pepper
- Shred the romaine lettuce into very fine slivers and cut the avocado, green pepper and red onion into small cubes.
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and Tricks:1. Omit the beans and corn for a Low-Carb and Keto-approved version. Still delicious and great with healthy Mexican meals. 2. Add a protein (cooked shredded chicken, ground, beef, shrimp, etc) to make it a meal.
This post was updated on January 20, 2020 to include detailed step-by-step instructions.
Yep, this is pretty high carb for keto. I will make this but use black soy beans instead, and no corn. It does sound good! I look forward to trying it.
This sounds yummy and is healthy for people who can eat starchy veggies, but please take the word “keto” out of the Pin. This could be very confusing to keto-beginners as black beans and corn are not at all keto-friendly.