My first experience with fish tacos came when I worked in a restaurant in the Florida Keys. I thought it sounded pretty disgusting, until the day I forced myself to take a bite.
Disgust quickly turned into obsession and I found myself always picking fish tacos at restaurants – curious to taste the different ways they were made.
I quickly realized that nothing came close to that very first fish taco I ever ate. So, I obviously had no choice but to recreate it at home.
Hence, these colorful, utterly delicious and Chirpy-friendly Blackened Mahi Lettuce Tacos!
These amazing fish tacos have 5 aspects – crisp iceberg lettuce, succulent blackened Mahi, a crunchy sweet slaw, cajun remoulade and pico de gallo.
This is a great example of simple ingredients coming together to create great depth of flavor.
The hardest thing to recreate was the Cajun Remoulade, because restaurant spice mixes just can’t be found in your neighborhood grocery store.
I think I came pretty close though. It’s sweet and tangy and perfectly complements all the other aspects of the tacos.
Now, this is the Chirpy low carb version of these fish tacos, but if you’re not into the low carb life, the lettuce wraps can easily be switched for a corn or flour tortilla (to the low carbers – pretend you didn’t just read that).
The flavors are great, and if you eat them this way, I’m pretty sure you won’t even miss a real tortilla.
This is my way of satisfying my taco craving – and I’d be lying if I said it did a good job. It did a great job. It satisfied the taco craving, but created a whole new Blackened Mahi Lettuce Taco craving in its place.
I just can’t seem to win, but I’m not complaining, because healthy cravings are a wonderful thing.
Pin It! Blackened Mahi Fish Tacos with Cajun Remoulade
Healthy Low-Carb Gluten-Free Fish Taco Recipe:
Blackened Mahi Lettuce Tacos with Cajun Remoulade
For The Fish:
- 2 lb mahi-mahi cut into 16 thin strips
- to taste blackened seasoning
- to taste salt and pepper
For The Sweet Slaw:
- 1 cup cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 fresh cilantro (chopped roughly)
For The Pico De Gallo:
- 2 roma tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 red onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 lime (just the juice)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and diced)
For The Cajun Remoulade:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- Season the Mahi with blackened seasoning, salt and pepper and sear on a hot pan, in a little bit of oil until cooked - about 4 minutes. Keep turning so each side gets seared.
- Mix the cabbage, vingear, honey and rest of the cilantro. Set aside.
Pico De Gallo:
- Mix the tomato, red onion, lime juice, half of the cilantro and jalapeño. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Blend together the mayonnaise, cajun seasoning, paprika, honey and capers until completely combined. Set aside.
- Add 2 strips of fish to each lettuce shells. Top with the slaw, pico de gallo and remoulade. And Enjoy!
Blackened Mahi Lettuce Tacos -Pin it!