Stuffed steak. Need I say more…? Yes? Ok. Mexican Stuffed Skirt Steak. Are you drooling now?
I’ve mentioned before that Cody and I love Mexican flavors. We will Mexican-ify everything if we can. When I realized that we have, count them, zero beef recipes on the blog, I had a mini heart attack (a non beef induced heart attack, obviously). It’s slightly confusing to me, because I love beef. I brought this crazy fact to Cody’s attention, so we came up with this powerhouse of flavor.
We’ve also come to the conclusion that Chirpy’s been a bit one dimensional with flavors so far – but what’s good is good, right? A super flavorful steak. Tomato, onion and bell peppers with a limey kick. Cheeese. I dare you to find fault in that.
A quick sear on the outside on a hot pan gives some glorious color. It is then popped in the oven at 350º for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, you are left with a perfect medium steak. It’s almost too perfect to eat. No, really. It’s so perfect, you’ll want to keep it all for yourself. Sorry family. I spend too many minutes admiring this wonderful piece of art/steak.
Mexican Stuffed Skirt Steak
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1/4 yellow pepper (finely diced)
- 1/4 green pepper (finely diced)
- 1/2 onion (finely diced)
- 1 roma tomato (finely diced)
- 1/3 cup mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 fresh lime (just the juice)
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- to taste 'salt
- Preheat oven 350ºF.
- Sauté the onion, peppers and tomato with the lime juice until soft.
- Mix all the spices for the spice rub and rub both sides of the skirt steak. Season generously with salt.
- Spread the onion, pepper and tomato mixture on top of the steak, top with cheese and roll tightly.
- Sear each side of the steak on a hot pan to seal the seam and get a crisp, colored outside.
- Pop in the oven for 45 minutes to get a perfect medium steak.
- Rest it for at least 5 minutes and then slice into 1 inch wheels and serve immediately.
Mexican Stuffed Skirt Steak – Pin it!