As you can tell, our zoodle obsession is still going strong. Today, though, we bring you something slightly different. Zucchini Fettuccine with a delicious Alfredo made from – yep, you guessed it – cauliflower. Cue applause. Add some ham and mushrooms to the mix and you’ve got a winner!
Fettuccine Alfredo is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. I love the simplicity of it – how a few simple ingredients packs so much flavor. Now, believe it or not, I think this low carb Zucchini Fettuccine with Cauliflower Alfredo might have surpassed my love for the regular type, because there is zero guilt involved. Isn’t that great? Ahhhh… I just can’t get over the awesomeness of the low carb high fat life.
Even though my pursuit for a 100% low carb/unprocessed life borders obsessive sometimes, I am by no means perfect. I have recently been experiencing a sudden insatiable craving for Mexican food – more specifically, chicken tacos (or tikken chacos as I lovingly call them). It doesn’t help at all that we seem to have a never-ending supply of Authentic Mexican Taquerias in this town *halp*.
But let’s get back to cauliflower Alfredo (sorry tikken chacos). A lot of people might be scared to try the whole making-sauce-from-cauliflower-thing, since cauliflower has that very obvious taste. It’s okay, I used to feel the same, until I tried it. Trust me. It’s unreal how it can transform into something so yummy that just looking at it should make you gain 10lb. But of course, it doesn’t because – healthy vegetable! #mindblown
I just love food so damn much. The possibilities are endless, and now I’m on a mission to recreate everything using fresh, whole ingredients. Like our Very Veggie Lasagne – in that one I made a cauliflower béchamel! How amazing! Keep watching this space!
Zucchini Fettuccine with Cauliflower Alfredo
For The Alfredo Sauce:
- 1 cauliflower (about 4 cups florets)
- 1/2 stick of butter (50g)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cooking liquid (water in which the cauliflower was boiled)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
For The Rest:
- 6 cups zucchini (spiralized into large flat noodles)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup ham (cut into cubes)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- to taste salt and pepper
For the Alfredo Sauce:
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower florets and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Until tender.
- While the cauliflower cooked, sauté the ham and mushrooms in a little bit of oil until nicely seared and set aside. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the butter and garlic together in the microwave.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, use a slotted spoon to scoop the florets out of the water and into a food processor.
- Now, add all the rest of the ingredients for the Alfredo Sauce and blitz until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to your preference.
For The Rest:
- Sauté the zucchini for a few minutes in a little bit of and season with salt and pepper until they are cooked to your liking. Set aside.
- Now, add the cauliflower sauce, the ham and mushrooms into the pan with the zucchini fettucine.
- Serve up a generous helping of zucchini fettuccine and top with the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.