The recipe card and video is at the bottom of the post, but don’t be too hasty! The post contains all the tips and tricks.
A while go we attended a birthday celebration at a Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse. It was my first time at one and I completely fell in love with a simple clear onion broth we were served as a starter. The name is Japanese Clear Onion soup!
I couldn’t believe how tasty that little bowl of brown broth was (haha)!
As with everything we eat, if we love it, we immediately know that we will eventually do our own recreation of it. This was no different.
After some research, planning, cooking and taste-testing, we finally perfected our very own Japanese Clear Onion Soup recipe.
What are clear onion soup ingredients?
With just 6 simple and easy vegetable ingredients, this is the perfect quick and easy vegetarian appetizer soup for your traditional Japanese (or Chinese) themed dinner party or if you’re just doing some fun homemade Benihana for the family.
If you’re like me, you’ll make it just because you love soup (and because this one is incredibly light and easy…and DELICIOUS).
So what ingredients goes into a Japanese Onion Soup recipe?
- Onion (Duh!)
- Carrot, Celery and Garlic (for depth of flavor)
- Mushrooms and Scallions (for garnish)
- Coconut Aminos (or Soy Sauce) and Sriracha (to boosting it to epic flavor proportions)
It is a very simple vegetable clear soup. So, it isn’t very substantial, but that’s exactly what makes it perfect as a starter. Or as a light meal with very low calories – perfect for weight loss.
So, now that you know what you need, now you need to know how to make this great clear broth mushroom soup.
How to make Japanese Clear Onion Soup for an Appetizer?
The best thing about this recipe, is that there’s hardly any hands on time, as with the majority of Living Chirpy recipes. What I’m trying to say is that you have no excuse to not impress your dinner guests with this cute little soup.
Even something as simple as “Clear Onion Soup” can seem special if you serve it as an appetizer in a pretty little bowl and an authentic little spoon.
- So, you start by frying the onions in a little bit of oil (preferably sesame oil for extra flavor) until they start to caramelize brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer away for 30 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables from the water (don’t need to throw them away! I blend them and mix them in with my toddler’s food. Or I just snack on it myself)
- Garnish it with thinly sliced mushrooms and chopped scallions.
- Japanese Clear Onion Soup is ready to be served.
So, if you’re sold on making this as an appetizer! Why not check out some of our other healthy Asian-inspired recipes to serve up as a main dish!
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cabbage Chicken Teriyaki
- Authentic Beef Ramen with Zoodles
- Mongolian Pork Stir Fry
Also, check out these great recipes and roundups from other bloggers:
- Whole30 Paleo Poke Bowl
- Easy Vegetable Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Sesame Pork Stir Fry
- Low-Carb Keto Soup Recipes
Japanese Clear Onion Soup – Pin It!
Instruction Video – How to make Clear Onion Soup:
Japanese Clear Onion Soup Recipe:
Japanese Clear Onion SoupPrint Pin Rate
- Sauté the onions in a pot in a little bit of oil until slightly browned.
- Add the carrot, celery, and garlic and 6 cups of vegetable broth/water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Strain the veggies from the broth and add the mushrooms and scallions before serving.