This Philly Cheesesteak Casserole packs classic flavors from a traditional cheesesteak while being healthy, low-carb, and Keto friendly. Perfect to make ahead for dinner or lunch. Only 8 fresh ingredients, and ready in 40 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
A great way to transform your favorite sandwich into a truly healthy and nutritious meal – is turning it into a salad, a soup, or in this case – a super delicious Philly Cheesesteak Casserole!
Ingredients to Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole:
- Ground Beef
- Bell Peppers
- Spices, Salt and Pepper
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole:
- Start off by sautéing the onions, mushrooms and peppers together until soft. Scrape into a casserole dish and set aside.
- Now, use the same pan and brown the ground beef.
- Then, also scrape the ground beef into the casserole dish, with the peppers and onions.
- Mix everything well.
- Now, mix the eggs and cream together and pour it over the beef and veggies.
- Top with cheese and slide into your preheated oven for about 25 minutes at 200ºC/400ºF, until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Then, when the cheese is melted, bubbly and starting to brown – remove from the oven. Cut the casserole into about 8 squares and serve up immediately.
- We like to serve our Philly Cheesesteak Casserole with a dollop of our healthier homemade mayonnaise.
The best way to serve this casserole is by offering a variety of toppings with it for everyone to pick and choose according to their own taste. We like to add shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, banana peppers, and pickles!
Classic or traditional Philly Cheesesteaks do not have peppers or mushrooms – they are made with thinly sliced beef topped with melted cheese on a crusty bread roll. Most sandwich shops offer fried onions, sweet peppers, and fried mushrooms as toppings though. In this Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe, we have added these very common toppings as part of the casserole – to make a proper, balanced meal.
Why not! Try using a thinly sliced steak, just like a more traditional cheese steak sandwich. Just season and cook the steak separately first before combing the ingredients into the dish.
Casseroles are always a great option for food prep. You can prepare the main components and store them separately, or assemble the whole casserole and keep refrigerated until you are ready to cook.
Get an Easy 30-Minutes Recipes Ebook
Easy Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a pan, sauté the onions, mushrooms and diced green pepper together until the onions are translucent.
- Transfer to an 9×13 casserole dish.
- In the same pan add the ground beef, garlic, herbs and spices. Brown the ground beef until just barely cooked, and slightly pink.
- Transfer to the casserole dish, add 3/4 cup shredded cheese and mix everything well.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs and cream together and pour over the beef and vegetables.
- Top with the rest of the cheese and bake for about 25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- We always serve this with a dollop of our yummy Homemade Mayonnaise.
- We like serving this casserole by offering a variety of toppings with it for everyone to pick and choose according to their own taste. Here’s what we like:
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped Tomato
- Sliced Olives
- Banana Peppers
More Dinner Recipes:
- Easy Low Carb Keto Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers
- Cheesy Zucchini Bake with Corn and Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Hamburger Soup
- One Pot Amish Beef and Cabbage Skillet
Did You Make This Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe?
If you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!