If you’re wondering what goes with cabbage, then look no further. This is a great budget-friendly, one pot ground beef and cabbage recipe. You'll certainly have leftovers for the next day, or you can freeze it to eat at another time.
It’s a great way to add vegetables to ground beef! And ground beef is definitely the best, and easiest meat to add to cabbage. If you have too much cabbage and don’t know what to do with it - this is the recipe for you!
It’s also a great way to stretch out a pound of ground beef if you’re on a budget! You'll only need 5 simple ingredients and 3 spices to create this amazing flavor. You can have it ready in 30 minutes too!
It's suitable for gluten-free, keto, low-carb, paleo and Whole30 diets.
You will need:
- ground beef
- can diced tomatoes
- red chili flakes
- celery seed
- Chop the onion and sauté in a little bit of oil, over a medium-high heat until translucent.
- Add the ground beef, garlic spices, salt, pepper and cook until the beef is browned.
- Add the canned tomatoes and cabbage - let it simmer for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- You can serve this dish over rice, or a low-carb option, like cauliflower rice. You can also eat it as a soup/stew.
When cooking ground beef, make sure to skip the seed oils and use a heat-stable cooking fat that won't go rancid at high temperatures (coconut oil, ghee, tallow, etc.)
Yes. However, make sure to time the addition of the ingredients properly. Ground beef will cook a lot faster than onions or carrots, for example, so make sure to add the meat only after the vegetables have softened.
Cabbage is a very versatile vegetable, and a great to add to with ground beef. It’s definitely the best meat to add to cabbage. These two ingredients together, makes a deliciously healthy, but also budget friendly dish!
One Pot Amish Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet
- 1 lb ground beef (400g)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- ½ head of cabbage (shredded, about 6 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- to taste salt and pepper
- Sauté the onion in a little bit of cooking oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef, spice and season generously with salt and pepper. Be sure to taste test and add more salt if needed.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add the canned tomato and cabbage, stir and let simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
Can you add Italian sweet ground sausage?
Roché Woodworth says
Can’t see why not!:) I might try it that way next time I make it
Shannon W says
I love it! This was what happened, happy accident yet amazing turnout! I went to add the 2nd round of canned tomatoes, it was with chilies (unfortunately it’s for my Grandma and spice is not to her liking)
My attempt to Dr.ing it up I added 1/4 of powdered sugar one can of tomato soup with one can of water. It’s to me tastes perfect!! Mine is definitely more of a stew! I think some rice added to the bowl would go well! For now I fried some bread dough and it’s perfect on this wet rainy day!! Thank you for this simple and very tasty recipe!! Sharing with my cabbage fans!!
Well should have spell checked before submitting !
1/4 cup of sugar
It to me tastes perfect! (Is the correct intended sentence
This meal is perfect and both my sisters love it
We are eating this dish now!! So good!!!! It’s a keeper!!
I’m eating Paleo right now, and this meal was the perfect meal, even by itself! And it took minimal effort 👌
Lisa Brown says
I threw in some egg noodles, nice variation for cabbage and noodles
Quick and easy!
Easy and delicious! Always makes enough for two meals - it’s a win win for me!