Shay and Zellie are back in South Africa! The weirdest thing about being back from the USA after 6 months isn’t the time difference, but the fact that it’s summer instead of autumn/winter. We’re going to have a tough time cooking for a US audience looking for warm cozy meals, when we’re here splashing around in the pool haha. Luckily, since it’s not that cold yet, and this salad features a warm orange dressing – it’s perfect for these “in-between seasons” weather.
Citrus and chicken were made to go together, and chicken and salad were meant to go together. Thus, Orange Chicken Salad = Winning. This salad features crisp green leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado, chopped pecan nuts and, of course, the succulent chicken strips with its warm orange dressing.
If you associate salads with dieting, you have obviously never had a delicious salad with an even MORE delicious dressing. A salad with no dressing is, contrary to popular belief, not even that great for you. Your body needs oils to be able to absorb all the goodness in raw veggies. Go check out this cool post from Pilates Nutritionist -> 5 Reasons To Ditch Low Fat Salad Dressing!
Not only are salads super tasty and very good for you, they also need very limited hands-on time, which (as you know by now) is our favorite kind of meal. This Orange Chicken Salad doesn’t feel like a skimpy chop- up-and-throw-together plate, though. We gobbled it up as if it was a satisfying gourmet meal.
I’m 99% sure your friends or family members won’t feel cheated if you serve it to them as a main meal. They’ll most likely request it over and over again! #yourewelcome
Orange Chicken Salad
- 1 lb chicken breast (500g) (sliced into thin strips)
- 4 cups lettuce (broken or chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 2 avocado (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup raw pecan nuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 oranges (only the juice)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tbsp oil (for cooking)
- to taste salt and pepper
- Divide the lettuce into plates and add cherry tomatoes and avocado on top. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan, over a high heat: Add the chicken strips, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and cook until the chicken is seared and cooked through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice of the oranges over the chicken and as soon as it boils vigorously, remove the pan from the heat and stir the cold butter into the sauce. This will thicken it.
- Now, add the chicken to the salad and top with the pecan nuts.
- Lastly, pour the pan sauce over the salad or keep on the side.
- Serve immediately.