When I worked as an au pair in Germany back in 2008, the only good thing that came from that experience was a cucumber recipe. (I won’t elaborate on why that’s the only good thing, but yeah. Eeek!).
My host family made plenty of recipes using Frankfurt’s famous green sauce – hardboiled eggs and green sauce, boiled potatoes and green sauce, cucumber and green sauce. The list goes on.
My very favorite way was cucumber and green sauce. Obviously. This Tangy Cucumber Salad recipe is (extremely) loosely based on that favorite of mine and is also a variation of one of the very first recipes we posted on Living Chirpy – Delightful Cucumber Salad.
Tangy Cucumber Salad is also the absolute perfect side to our Smoked Haddock with Creamy Tomato Pepper Sauce. It goes together like bread and butter and is pretty much the only way we ever eat either of these recipes.
They were made to go together without a doubt – so if you’re planning to do this one, why not eat it with that one? Gooo check it out over HERE.
This recipe takes about 15 minutes of hands-on time to make at the very most, and when I say hands-on time, I mean literal hands-on times.
You need to get your hands in there and squeeze the water out of the cucumber – the most “labor intensive” part of the whole thing. Then just mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour it over. Pop the salad in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat!
If you need more easy sides perfect for summer – check out this round-up of favorites from bloggers around the interwebs HERE. Or if you’re interested, you can take a peek at some of Living Chirpy’s salads and sides:
- Loaded Sweet Corn Salad
- Cucumber Noodles /w Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
- Simple Veggie Quinoa
- Quinoa Salad with Bacon Mushrooms and Green Pepper
- Broccoli Bacon Cheddar Salad
Pin It! Tangy Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber [sliced as thin as possible with a mandolin]
- 1/2 red onion [thinly sliced]
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze the water out of the cucumber using your hands or a tea towel.
- Mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano and honey together - adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber and toss.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat!