A simple and delicious recipe for Cucumber Onion Salad, with a delicious creamy dressing. 8 super simple ingredients, 15 minutes total time. Low-Carb. Keto. Gluten-Free.
We love making this easy salad for simple weeknight dinners and it is always a hit, especially on warmer nights.
This keto cucumber salad recipe is not only healthy, but quick and easy to prepare. It’s best with the delicious creamy dressing made with mayo and sour cream.
How To Make Cucumber Salad?
Ever wonder what you can do with a bunch of cucumbers? Well, here you go – this recipe is all you need.
What Ingredients Do You Need:
- Red Onion
And Here’s What You Need For The Creamy Dressing:
- Sour Cream
- Mayonnaise [Use our healthy homemade recipe]
- Lemon Juice
- White Vinegar
- Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make It: Step-By-Step Instructions
- Salt thinly sliced cucumber and then set it aside while you prepare the creamy dressing. (Photo 1)
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing into a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside. (Photo 2 & 3)
- Now, take the cucumbers and use clean hands to squeeze out as much water as you can. (Photo 4)
- Add the thinly sliced red onions. (Photo 5)
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and mix together. (Photo 6 & 7)
- Keep refrigerated until serving. (Photo 8)
How To Salt and Drain Cucumbers For Cucumber Salad:
Salting cucumber draws out the moisture and ensures that your cucumber salad doesn’t get too watery.
For this recipe I like to sprinkle about a teaspoon of salt over one sliced cucumber, and stir it to ensure even coverage. The exact amount of salt doesn’t really matter, because most of it will wash away with the liquid released from the cucumbers.
Allow the cucumbers to sit for at least 5 minutes, if you’re going to squeeze the moisture out.
If you have more time, you can put the sliced cucumber in a strainer over a large bowl and set aside for at least 20 minutes – the cucumbers will do the rest.
This process will also make the cucumbers soft and taste significantly better, which is a much more pleasant eating experience.
If this yummy creamy keto cucumber salad doesn’t tickle your fancy, we’ve got other great salad recipes in our archive, as well as some of our favorites from other bloggers:
- Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 11 Tasty Keto Salads
- Broccoli Bacon Cheddar Salad with Basil Pesto Mayo
- Keto Caesar Salad by JoyFilledEats.com
- Keto Egg Salad by TheBetteredBlondie.com
Cucumber Onion Salad
- 1 cucumber (sliced as thin as possible, preferably with a mandolin)
- ½ red onion (sliced as thin as possible, preferably with a mandolin)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp honey
- to taste salt and pepper
- Put the cucumber in a bowl and sprinkel with salt, mix and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano and honey together until well combined – adding salt and pepper to taste.
- With clean hands, squeeze as much water as you can out of the cucumbers.
- Add the onions.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.