A simple and delicious recipe for Cucumber Onion Salad, with a delicious creamy dressing.
8 super simple ingredients, 15 minutes total time.
This is a great side dish recipe for Low-Carb, Keto, or Gluten-Free diets.
You will need:
- red onion
- sour cream
- mayonnaise [use our healthy homemade recipe]
- lemon juice
- white vinegar
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Salt thinly sliced cucumber and then set it aside while you prepare the creamy dressing. (Photo 1)
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing into a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside. (Photo 2 & 3)
- Now, take the cucumbers and use clean hands to squeeze out as much water as you can. (Photo 4)
- Add the thinly sliced red onions. (Photo 5)
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and mix together. (Photo 6 & 7)
- Keep refrigerated until serving. (Photo 8)
Salting cucumber draws out the moisture and ensures that your cucumber salad doesn’t get too watery.
Sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumbers and let them sit in a strainer over a large bowl for at least 20 minutes. This process will make the cucumbers soft and taste significantly better.
Cucumber Onion Salad
- 1 cucumber (sliced as thin as possible, preferably with a mandolin)
- ½ red onion (sliced as thin as possible, preferably with a mandolin)
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- to taste salt and pepper
- Put the cucumber in a bowl and sprinkel with salt, mix and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano and honey together until well combined – adding salt and pepper to taste.
- With clean hands, squeeze as much water as you can out of the cucumbers.
- Add the onions.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.