Salsa. A tomato based sauce adopted from Mexican cuisine. Not only is it delicious, but it’s very nutritious and hydrating as well.
Check out this fun article from healthline.com: 10 Reasons Your Body Will Thank You for Eating Salsa.
What Is The Best Salsa?
We always have a jar of Mexican Salsa in the fridge. While we used to buy it from the grocery store, we soon had an epiphany.
Homemade salsa is the BEST salsa.
Our easy recipe was inspired by the salsa usually served at Mexican Restaurants. It’s got just a few simple ingredients and come together in no time!
How to Make Mexican Salsa:
This is the best Mexican salsa recipe, in our humble opinion. As soon as this recipe was perfected, we never store-bought salsa again.
The Ingredients You Need:
- Canned Tomato
- Minced Garlic
- Fresh Cilantro
- Pickled Jalapeños (This gives really good flavor - check the ingredients to ensure the one you buy is compliant to your diet)
- Mexican Chili Powder (We use our own Taco Seasoning Mix)
- Salt and Pepper
- Add a little bit of the tomato plus the garlic, cilantro, onion, jalapeños, Mexican Chili Powder, salt and pepper into a blender. (We use our immersion blender, because it has less clean up).
- Blend until finely chopped and combined.
- Add the rest of the tomato and stir with a spoon.
- For a smoother end result: pulse the entire mix until it reaches you desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
This Mexican Salsa recipe is great for tacos, burritos, dipping tortilla chips or a delicious table sauce for just about any meal.
Looking For More Mexican Recipes?
For more healthy low carb keto and paleo Mexican recipes, check out any of these yummy options from our archives, plus some of our personal favorites from other great bloggers are rounded up here: 15 Best Keto Mexican Recipes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
If you’ve made our salsa recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14oz)
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (loosely packed)
- ½ onion (approximately ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños (slices)
- ½ teaspoon mexican chili powder (or use our homemade all purpose Mexican Seasoning Blend)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- Add about a third of the canned tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, spices, salt and pepper.
- Blend until all the ingredients are very finely chopped and combined.
- Add the chunks of tomato to the blender and pulse for 2-3 seconds, just to mix.
Tips and Tricks:
- We prefer the salsa slightly chunky, but you can blend it to be a smoother consistency if you like.
- Add more or less pickled jalapeños for your desired spiciness.
This recipe was first published on August 9, 2017 and was updated on March 4, 2020 to include new photos, video, step-by-step instructions and faqs.