Not only are these top notch crab cakes, they’re low carb crab cakes! A perfect use for leftover crab meat – but honestly, they’re so good, it’s worth it to go out and BUY crab meat just to make these. Healthy and delicious!
I’d lie if I said I’ve always loved crab meat. In fact, it repulsed me for the majority of my life. Mostly because crabs, in my eyes, resemble spiders too much. When I was forced to eat crab meat at a crab boil with Cody’s family, I had to face my fear and – shocking development – I fell in love with it. Although, to be honest, I didn’t exactly face my fear. Cody still had to pull the legs off for me.
Crabs were stacked a foot high on the table. It was ridiculous. After hours of picking, we had barely made a dent in them and even with the help of the neighbors, we couldn’t finish it. So, that’s how Cody and I ended up being sent home with a bag of crabs.
We knew right away that we wanted to make crab cakes with those leftovers, and that’s exactly what we did. We had about 1 pound of meat and it was the perfect amount for 4 decent sized cakes. One of them filled me right up.
After cooking a few minutes on each side you’re left with beautiful cakes. A crispy skin and soft center, bursting with deliciousness. I would have loved to have these on a sandwich, but instead of that, we decided to let the cakes have all the glory. We made a crab cake salad with some baby spinach, cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of our amazing Mango Remoulade.
It was to die for. Almost too pretty to eat!
Low Carb Crab Cakes
- 1 lb cooked blue crab meat (we used leftover crab meat from a big shrimp and crab boil)
- 1 egg (large)
- ¼ red bell pepper (finely diced)
- ¼ green pepper (finely diced)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until it is well combined.
- Divide the mixture into four and use your hands to form it into cakes. You can also make 8 smaller ones, it’s your choice.
- Let the cakes rest in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat up a pan over a medium heat and then cook the crab cakes for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve immedaitely.
Low Carb Crab Cakes – Pin it!