This Paprika Chicken Skillet recipe was one of those accidents that happened one lazy morning when I realized I didn’t have much in the fridge for lunch, but felt too lazy to get ready and head out to the store.
I cut up a couple of chicken breasts, a lone onion lurking in the corner of the vegetable drawer, and a red bell pepper. In order to make this unfortunate lunch taste good, I threw together a bunch of spices and cooked it up. I then served it with a sad little side salad of fridge scraps.
To my surprise, everybody raved about this ridiculous lunch! It was requested again and again and finally I decided that I had better fine tune the measurement and give it a share.
It’s a simple and easy dish that comes together in no time and can be served for lunch or dinner and with whatever you feel like:
- With rice,
- On top of spaghetti or zoodles,
- Stuffed in a sandwich,
- With a simple salad and some green beans on the side.
The choice is yours. You can be as creative or uncreative as you feel like. What I can guarantee is some serious flavor in a simple package that will definitely be a hit with the family.
How To Make A Creamy (Or Not) Paprika Chicken Skillet:
This recipe literally can’t be any simpler. Once you’ve quickly chopped up an onion and red bell pepper, cubed up a couple of chicken breast and seasoned said chicken breasts generously with the simple spice mix, you crank up the heat and get cooking.
Staring with the onions, you sauté them in a large pan until they are translucent and just starting to caramelize. Then, push the onions to the side and add everything else – making sure to have the chicken in an even layer so they can get a good sear on them.
Once the chicken is cooked through, I prefer to add a little bit of hot water to the pan to make everything nice and juicy. But feel free to add the same amount of cream, sour cream or coconut cream instead of water, for a creamy paprika chicken recipe variation.
And that’s it.
This recipe is so quick and flavorful that is is also the perfect “base” to start letting your creative cooking juices flow. Add some sliced mushrooms, zucchini or whatever your heart desires.
Pin It! Paprika Chicken Skillet
Easy Paprika Chicken Skillet Recipe and Nutritional Information/Calories:
Easy Paprika Chicken SkilletPrint Pin Rate
- 4 chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized cubes)
- 2 medium yellow onions (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp paprika
- to taste salt and white pepper
- 1/2 cup hot water (or same amount of cream, sour cream or coconut cream)
- In a large sauté pan, over a medium/high heat – sauté the onions until soft and translucent and starting to caramelize.
- While the onions are cooking, season the chicken with the spice mix and be generous with the salt.
- When the onions are done, push them to one side and add the chicken and red bell pepper. Be sure to let the chicken sit for a minute or two to give it time to sear.
- Then stir everything together and once the chicken is almost cooked, add the water (or cream) and allow to heat through for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with a bit of fresh parsley (optional) and serve immediately.