There’s nothing better than a juicy cheeseburger…or is there? What about a juicy low-carb cheeseburger on a perfectly baked portobello mushroom with crisp lettuce, tomato and grilled onions? I’ll let you be the judge of that.
Chirpy has been M.I.A. for a few days, because we’ve been in New York City seeing the sights and getting a taste of the quirky restaurants and street food. It was a very ambitious trip: We left North Carolina on Friday morning at 5am and arrived at Cody’s cousin’s apartment in Queens at 7:30pm. It was the longest car ride I’ve ever taken. We got stuck in traffic in every major city we drove through, and when we FINALLY arrived in New York, we spent about an hour circling a block to find a parking space ????.
For the next two days we did the tourist thing and had lots of fun, but by Sunday night our legs and feet were so bashed up that we skipped a few things on our to-do list to ensure we could have a good night’s rest before our long trip back on Monday.
After 4 days of gas station food and indulgent New York street food, I was more than ready to get back into the low-carb swing of things. This low-carb mushroom burger to be more specific.
Hamburgers are one of my weaknesses, so naturally I had to figure out a way to get my fix while still being healthy.
I’ve seen many mushroom-as-a-bun burgers on pinterest, but what finally made me take the plunge is when Zellie told me about an amazing mushroom burger our aunt Deidré made. I couldn’t resist trying it out for myself and putting my own spin on it, and this is the result. We served it with our Paprika Sweet Potato Fries that we cut skinnier, unlike the original recipe.
The beauty of a meal like this is that you can modify it to your heart’s content and make it your own. Happy cooking!
- For the burger:
- 1 lb/450g • ground beef
- 1 tsp • salt
- 1 tsp • chili powder
- 1/2 tsp • coriander
- For the toppings:
- 4 slices • pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices • tomato
- 4 • lettuce leafs
- 1 • onion [sliced]
- 4 • portobello mushrooms
- Preheat oven 350ºF/180ºC.
- Remove stem and gills from the mushrooms and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the mushrooms bake, mix together the ground beef, salt, dried chili and coriander and mold into 4 patties.
- Cook the patties for approximately 2 minutes on each side over a medium high heat. While the patties are in the pan, put a slice of cheese on each patty.
- In a different pan, sauté the onions until translucent and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Once the mushrooms are done, you can assemble the burgers: mushroom, lettuce, tomato, burger and lastly, onions.
Low Carb Mushroom Burger – Pin It!