Ground Control to Chirpy? Can you hear me?
You may or may not have noticed, but we’ve been on an unplanned hiatus (because of many unfortunate reasons). We got split up between two countries. One of said countries has crappy internet. Said crappy internet gets struck by lightning and leaves us in the dark for about a month. It’s been crazy and frustrating, but Chirpy is finally back and you can now expect new recipes at least every Monday, until the Chirpy team gets reunited. Then we’ll go back to the Monday, Wednesday and Friday arrangement, just like the good old days!
Our first recipe to start out 2016 is one to help battle the cold that finally dawned upon the US – our warm and delicious Veggie Soup.
My idea of vegetable soup has always been taking ALL my favorite vegetables and boiling them together. It’s always delicious and it can’t get any simpler. As you can tell, nothing has changed – simple is still my thing. Vegetable soup is one of my very favorite comfort foods on the planet and there’s nothing better than a steamy bowl of soup on a chilly winter day. I could live off it. Not only is it packed with nutrients, it also tastes spectacular. What more could you ask for?
A quick life update: Cody and I are eloping in April, in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, NC. We’re hoping for some reasonably chilly weather and are already planning on cooking a big pot of this soup as soon as we get there. That way we have something to warm up when we’re too lazy to cook or leave the cute cabin we booked.
We’ll probably get everything chopped up before we start our 6 hour journey and just toss it into a pot the evening we get there. It only cooks for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how soft you’d prefer the veggies and is thus the perfect meal if you’re feeling lazy, but still want to eat healthy.
I love a soup that has a thickness to it, but also lots of bits, which is why with this specific recipe, I blend half of the soup and add it back to the rest.
Go on, treat your family to this wholesome soup (and yes, I do consider this soup a treat!).
- 8 cups • water or vegetable stock
- 1 • onion diced
- 4 • celery stalks diced
- 1 • red pepper diced
- 4 • medium carrots diced
- 4 • small zucchini sliced
- 4 • tomatoes diced
- 2 cups • baby potatoes
- 1 cup • button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups • spinach roughly chopped
- 1 cup • green beans sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 • red chilli pepper finely diced
- 2 tsp • thyme
- to taste • salt and pepper
- Toss all the ingredients into a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Lower the temperature and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how soft you want the veggies.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Optional: Blend half the soup, and mix back in with the other half to add some thickness to it.
Veggie Soup – Pin It!