A simple and easy recipe for keto french onion soup, which can also be used to make french dips. 10 Ingredients, 30 minutes hands-on time. Keto. Paleo.
This French onion soup is so simple and uses basic, affordable ingredients. It can be served as a starter or as a main meal. If you're not following a keto or low-carb diet, this soup is suitable for you too. Add a slice of bread and sprinkle with cheese to make it more like the classic recipe.
How to Make This Low-Carb French Onion Soup:
- stewing beef
- yellow and red onions
- olive oil
- dried rosemary
- dried thyme
- celery salt
- apple juice
- apple cider vinegar
- Sear the chunks of stewing beef and then set aside. (Photo 1 and 2)
- Add the oil, butter, and sliced onions to the same pot and cook for 20+ minutes. (Photo 3)
- Return the beef to the pot once the onions are caramelized, then add the garlic and spices. (Photo 4)
- Add the apple juice and apple cider vinegar. (Photo 5)
- Add the water, let it come to a boil, then simmer for 1-2 hours. (Photo 5)
- Once the beef is tender, remove it from the pot and save it for another meal - the soup is then ready to serve. (Photo 6, 7 8)
- Optional: Add a slice of keto bread and shredded cheese, broil under melted and golden. Serve immediately.
- Optional: Only add a handful of cheese if you want to skip the bread.
- Optional: Shred the beef and add it back in the pot for a heartier, more filling meal.
How Many Net Carbs In French Onion Soup?
On average, a bowl of keto french onion soup would have a total of 9g of net carbs. This number can be higher if you add cheese or a slice of keto/paleo bread.
Is Onion Bad For Keto Diet?
No. Adding a lot of onions to any dish can make the carbs stack up. However, depending on which phase of the keto diet you're on, the addition of a few extra carbs coming from onions won't wreck your diet.
What Kind Of Onion Is Best For Keto Diet?
There is only a small difference in the carb content of different varieties of onions. White onions have more fiber than yellow or sweet onions, lowering the number of net carbs. However, the difference is so small that it's not worth stressing about.
Keto French Onion Soup
- 2 lb stewing beef (1kg) (cut into smaller chunks)
- 6 yellow onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 red onions (thinly sliced)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup apple juice (you can substitute the apple juice and apple cider vinegar for ½ cup white wine)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- to taste salt
- to taste shredded cheese optional (swiss or mozarella, for topping)
- In a large pot, high heat - sear the chunks of stewing beef in a little bit of oil, and then set aside. Lower temperature to medium.
- In the same pot add the rest of the oil, butter and all the sliced onions. Cook on a medium until carmelized, this can take 20+ minutes. You want to spend a lot of time on this step to get good flavor out of the onions.
- Once the onions are carmelized, return beef to the pot. Add the garlic and spices and allow to cook together for a minute or two.
- Now add the apple juice and apple cider vinegar (or white wine) and cook for another minute or two.
- Now add the water, allow it to come to a boil, and then lower the heat so it can simmer for anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on the beef.
- Once the beef is tender and can easily shred apart, the soup is done.
- Remove the beef and save for another meal, shred it up and return to the soup for something more hearty and filling, or shred the beef and make french dip sandwiches to dip into the soup.
- If you’re doing regular french onion soup, ladle the soup into soup bowl and add a nice helping of shredded cheese on top.
Tips and Tricks:1. We prefer to use beef instead of beef stock. This way we get 2 (or 3) meals in one. You can however, use beef stock, but I recommend low-sodium beef broth. In this case - you can simmer the soup for approximately 45 minutes, and serve. 2. Optional: Shred the beef and add it back in the soup to make it heartier! Keep the soft succulent beef more tomorrow’s dinner. Use Keto bread, or if you’re not Keto, a nice sourdough to make french dips.
Looking For More Healthy Soup Recipes:
Did You Make This Keto French Onion Soup?
If you made this healthy french onion soup, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it helps us improve our recipes!
You can also give us a follow on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram – we love staying connected!
Absolutely delicious! We used real beef like the recipe suggested and had dinner half sorted for the next day. Will make again!