We love spaghetti, although in our house we tend to favor zucchini or butternut noodles instead of actual spaghetti. The magic of spaghetti is in the sauce and this here is the very best homemade spaghetti sauce recipe.
[Before skipping ahead: the post contains lots of tips, trick and frequently asked questions. Also, the best way to learn how to make this recipe, is by watching the video.]
Another great thing about it, is that it is 100% healthy and is friendly to gluten-free, keto, low-carb, paleo and Whole 30 dieters.
It ticks every box!
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce From Scratch?
We use simple ingredients to unlock great flavor in this easy recipe. Over time, this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe has developed into a much loved staple on our easy dinner menu rotation.
- Ground Beef
- Canned Tomato
- Chopped Onion
- Shredded Carrot
- Minced Garlic
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Broth
- Herbs and Spices
- Brown the beef and onions together with a little bit of oil in a large pot. About 5-10 minutes. (Photo 1)
- Dump everything else on top. (Photo 2)
- Stir until combined. (Photo 3)
- Put a lid on it. (Photo 4)
- Let it simmer for 25-30 minutes, (giving it an occasional stir). (Photo 5)
- Serve it up! (Photo 6)
If you would like a thicker spaghetti sauce, I suggest leaving the pot uncovered towards the end of cooking. You’ll have to stir it more often when doing this.
So, what is the secret ingredient in this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe? Well, it’s the carrots!
The natural sweetness of carrots cuts through the acidity of the tomatoes to give a much more balanced flavor. That’s why it is vital to add in the carrots to get the acid out of homemade spaghetti sauce.
Looking For More Ground Beef Recipes?
For more healthy low-carb, keto and paleo recipes using ground beef, check out any of these yummy options from our archives, plus some of our personal favorites from other great bloggers are rounded up here: Keto Ground Beef Recipes.
- Easy One Pot Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Individual Cottage Pie with Cauliflower Mash
- Quick And Easy Chili
- One Pot Amish Beef and Cabbage Skillet
Did You Make This Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe?
If you’ve made thi recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef (500g)
- 2 onions (diced)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14oz cans)
- 2 carrots (peeled and grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- to taste salt and ground black pepper
- garnish freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- Sauté the onions, ground beef and garlic together until the beef is browned in a pot.
- Add everything else and stir. Be sure to season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- A little trick I like to do it to add some of the beed broth to one empty can of tomatoes, swirl it around, pour to to the other empty can of tomatoes and then add it into the pot as well. This way you’re not losing a single drop of tomato-y goodness!
- Be sure to cover the pot when you cook it and stir it occasionally - that ensure you don’t lose too much moisture through steam and all the goodness stays locked it.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can however, leave the pot uncovered towards the second half of cooking. Be sure to stir the sauce more often, to prevent sticking.
- This sauce is delicious on butternut or zucchini noodles. If you’re not low-carb or keto, it is perfectly delicious on regular pasta as well.
This recipe from Homemade Spaghetti Sauce was first published on November 14, 2018 and was updated on March 9, 2020 to include new photos, video, detailed step-by-step instructions and faqs.