I loooove club sandwiches, but as we all know – sandwiches are made with bread. Booooo! Substituting bread can be tricky and people do it in various ways, but in a recipe like this – what’s better than using fresh cucumber? When we first started brainstorming about this idea, we decided to make these Club Cucumber Subs two ways – one as a lunch: where all your yummy club goodies gets stacked on some hollowed out cucumber. And two: as cute little appetizers for a party or a pre-dinner snack.
Even though this recipe has a bunch of different ingredients: cucumber, shredded chicken mayo, bacon, tomato, avocado, and cheese – they all come together super quick and isn’t much effort at all. The little effort that does go into it is sooo worth it! These are yummy so just trust me on this one…
We are supposed to head out for our weekend camping trip pretty soon and we are actually a bit on the fence about it at the moment. It’s been raining on and off all day, with more rain predicted for tomorrow. Sunday looks good, but that’s the day we’re coming back home. My argument is that if we were going to have a lazy weekend at home and postpone the trip to next weekend, why not just do the camping trip anyway and have a lazy tent weekend? It’s all the same, right? It is in my head anyway lol.
If we do end up going, we are planning on testing out some foil packet recipes cooked on a fire to share with you guys. We want to do a little camping recipe post at some point with all kinds of ideas on how to eat healthy while camping, with some easy and convenient meals that can be prepared before you leave home.
Even this Cucumber Club Sub could work well for camping, since all the different elements could be prepared at home and assembled at the campground. Yay!
- 2 • boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 • bacon strips
- 1 tbsp • mayonnaise
- 1 tsp • sriracha
- 1 tsp • coriander
- 1/2 tsp • paprika
- 1/2 tsp • dried thyme
- 1 • small tomato [sliced]
- 1/2 • small avocado [sliced]
- 1 • small cucumber [sliced or hollowed]
- 1/4 cup • shredded mozzarella
- to taste • salt and pepper
- Cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Set aside and chop into small pieces when cooled.
- Season the chicken with the coriander, parika, thyme, salt and pepper and sear it in the bacon fat. (Drain some of the fat first if there's too much of it.) Approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, use two fork to shred it up and allow to cool.
- Mix the chicken with the mayo and sriracha and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Now assembled the subs or bites. Arrange the cucumber on a plate and sprinkle some salt over it. Next add the tomato slices, then the shredded chicken, cheese, avocado and lastly the little bacon pieces.
Pin It! Club Cucumber Sub – Two Ways