I usually ate sloppy joe back in South Africa at a restaurant called Mugg 'n Bean - they served it on a croissant with a fried egg on top and I absolutely loved it and knew I needed to find the best way to make it into a low-carb meal. It might feel impossible to try and substitute something like a delicious buttery croissant, but when we're talking about our bodies and health, it's 100% worth it.
We decided to put our sloppy joe on some sweet potato and top it with a sunny side up fried egg. It's colorful, delicious and will keep you full all the way to lunch.
This Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Breakfast does take longer than the average breakfast recipe, but the good thing about it is the fact that you can prepare it the night before if you want to. The sloppy joe reheats well and you can have the sweet potato par-boiled, ready to be seared in some butter the next morning. Or if it's the weekend you can just do it all that same morning, it's all up to you.
It uses only 9 ingredients that you most likely already have at hand and takes approximately 30 minutes of hands-on time. Not that bad at all!
Cody and I will be heading out on Friday for a weekend camping trip about 90 minutes away from where we live, and I'm super excited about it! I haven't gone camping since I was a kid and I've always wanted to go again. So, when I mentioned that to Cody, we just decided to go ahead and do it! Why not?
We're going to take a couple of movies and books just in case the weather decided to go bad on us, if not - we're hoping to swim in the nearby river, hike, canoe, and do all the other little things they have to offer! Yay ????! Right now, we're getting a shopping list together and doing a little planning. We're most likely gonna make a soup to take with us, like our Chicken Taco Soup, or maybe even our Veggie Soup. Yeeeeee! Friday can't come soon enough!
Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Breakfast
- 2 sweet potatoes (cut into bite-sized cubes)
- 1 lb ground beef (500g)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- ½ cup water
- to taste salt and pepper
- to taste butter
- 4 eggs
- Put the sweet potato in a small pot and cover with cold water. Place on the stove over a high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Strain water and set aside.
- While the sweet potato boils: Brown the ground beef in a sauté pan, together with the onion, green pepper and tomato.
- Add the garlic, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, water, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer uncovered until thickened, about 20-25 minutes.
- Optional: When the sweet potato is done, sear the cubes in a piping hot pan with some butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Top the sweet potato with the sloppy joe and an egg fried to your liking.
Pin It! Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Breakfast
Really enjoyed this!
Do you know how many net carbs this would be
Is the serving size just one half of the sweet potato with the sloppy joe topping? Or the whole sweet potato?