So, I was obviously wrong when I thought that having a baby and moving to another country wouldn’t mess with our post schedule, but I didn’t realize how wrong. Chirpy baby, Bo, is now a full 5 months old and we’ve been in South Africa just over 3 months.
Even though we haven’t updated in a while, regular readers may have noticed that we’ve completely redesigned the site to be more streamlined and simpler to use. The verdict is still out on whether we’ve succeeded or not though. Haha!
For our “comeback” recipe, we kept it extremely simple – as you can see. It’s a delicious little appetizer or even lunch recipe that requires no cooking at all, just a few minutes of assembling.
One cucumber is sliced very thinly lengthwise with a mandolin. Add a bit of mustard and mayo, and a slice of sandwich ham. Roll it up, secure it with a toothpick and voilà! Ham and Mustard Cucumber Rolls.
On a side note, it’s funny that just as we finally try to get back into the swing of things, we are also on the verge of starting a brand new project. We’ve just bought a camper that we’re planning to remodel and take on a massive road trip across South Africa. It’s going to be pretty tough cooking and shooting on the road, but it might prove that it is, in fact, possible to eat healthy while traveling. Only time will tell though.
It will definitely force us to get even more creative when creating recipes – making things even simpler and quicker than we currently do. Yikes!
- 1 - cucumber [sliced lengthwise with a mandolin]
- 8 - slices of sandwich ham
- 4 - pickles [sliced thinly with mandolin]
- 1 tbsp - mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp - dijon mustard
- to taste - salt and pepper
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard.
- Spread a thin layer on one side of the cucumber slices.
- Top with sandwish ham and pickle slices.
- Roll carefully and secure with a toothpick.
- Serve immediately.
For more healthy appetizers, check out some of these easy recipes:
- Spanakopita Meatballs with Tzatziki
- Almond Crumbed Mushrooms
- Low-Carb Club Cucumber Sub – Two Ways
- Smoked Salmon Rosti
- Simple Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Tots
- Cajun Devilled Eggs
Pin It! Ham and Mustard Cucumber Rolls