I have a favorite snack. It's called chips and salsa. All my favorite restaurants give me as much as I want of it for free, and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. It's bad, because of the chips, but I'm human and I eat chips on occasion, especially at my favorite Tex-Mex restaurants where they are served with a bottomless supply of salsa (that's the good part). Salsa, how I do love you.
My love for this delicious creation is so extreme that I decided to create my own version, which I decided to call Roasted Summer Salsa. This recipe is me trying to cling on to what's left of summer.
I'm starting to feel a chill in the air, and even though winter is my favorite season, it still makes me sad, because certain foods don't have the same punch as they do in summer. Like salsa. As much as I love salsa, it's not so great eating it during winter when you're freezing your booty off, as it is eating it during summer.
The cold yummy tomato-y goodness scooped up on a chip is the perfect snack for a summer day. Even though I try my very best to cut all processed foods from my diet, chips are still my kryptonite.
Chips, though, are not the only thing that's great with salsa. I put it on almost everything I can. I probably use it the same way some people use ketchup. The difference being: there's just no comparing a tangy fresh tomato salsa to processed artificial ketchup. There is just no beating the taste of freshness and our Roasted Summer Salsa is my new favorite.
Roasted Red Pepper Summer Salsa
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 lime (only the juice)
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- to taste salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF/230ºC.
- Coat the red pepper and roma tomatoes with the oil and place onto a baking sheet. Slide into the oven and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
- Once the pepper and tomatoes are cold, toss into a food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Give everything a quick pulsing blitz until it reached your desired consistency.
A bit different than the usual! Very yummy!