This is an easy recipe for Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes using an oven! 5 ingredients needed. 10 minutes of prep time and approx. 3 hours in the oven. Gluten-free. Low-carb. Keto. Paleo. Whole30.
Roasted Tomatoes are a staple in Italian cooking. They are packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. But because of the time it takes to make sun-dried tomatoes and the cost of the oil and jars to store them in - this is a very expensive ingredient when bought in stores.
Therefore, making your own can save you a ton of money! And the best part is, you need no special equipment. Only an oven!
Roasted cherry tomatoes have a very intense, slightly sweet flavor that adds so much depth to basically anything you cook. We love mixing these with some cubed chicken breast in a pan for a quick lunch, or adding it to a tomato sauce for that extra flavor kick!
How Do I Slow Roast Cherry Tomatoes?
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 280F/140C and prepare a sheet pan with baking paper.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and arrange them on the baking paper.
- Sprinkle all the tomatoes with salt.
- Slide the sheet pan in the oven and let the tomatoes dry for at least 3 hours. Make sure to check on them.
- Once the tomatoes are dry, but still soft, they are done.
- Add them to the jar, together with the garlic and herbs.
What To Do With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes?
- Add them to a chicken salad instead of fresh tomatoes for a rich flavor.
- Blend them into your favorite sauces.
- Finely chop them and sauté with chicken pieces for a quick lunch.
How Long Do Slow Roasted Tomatoes Last In The Fridge?
They can last up to two weeks when refrigerated.
Homemade Sun Dried Cherry Tomatoes Recipe and Nutritional Information:
Homemade Sun-Dried Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes (1kg)
- ¾ cup olive oil (enough to cover the tomatoes when storing)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt (more or less to your own tastes)
- Preheat the oven to 280F/140C.
- Prepare a sheet pan with baking paper.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Remove the stem and core if desired.
- Arrange the tomatoes cut side up on the baking paper. This amount of cherry tomatoes usually fills 2 sheet pans.
- Sprinkle all the tomatoes lightly with salt.
- Slide the sheet pans into the oven and let dry for at least 3 hours, keeping an eye on them every 30 minutes once the first 2 hours have elapsed.
- The cherry tomatoes are done when they are dry, but still "soft" - you want to avoid any browning, because that can make them bitter.
- Once they are done, add them to a jar, together with the garlic and herbs. Store in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
Looking For More Recipes With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes:
- Cucumber Noodles /w Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
- Sun-dried Tomato Basil Chicken Zucchini
- Keto Sun-dried Tomato Chicken Frittata Recipe
- Mozzarella Pesto Sundried Tomato Stuffed Chicken
Did You Make These Roasted Cherry Tomatoes?
If you baked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it helps us improve our recipes!