This is an easy recipe for Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes using an oven! 5 ingredients needed. 10 minutes of prep time and approx. 3 hours in the oven. Gluten-free. Low-carb. Keto. Paleo. Whole30.
Roasted Tomatoes are a staple in Italian cooking. They are packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. But because of the time it takes to make sun-dried tomatoes and the cost of the oil and jars to store them in - this is a very expensive ingredient when bought in stores.
Therefore, making your own can save you a ton of money! And the best part is, you need no special equipment. Only an oven!
Roasted cherry tomatoes have a very intense, slightly sweet flavor that adds so much depth to basically anything you cook. We love mixing these with some cubed chicken breast in a pan for a quick lunch, or adding it to a tomato sauce for that extra flavor kick!
How Do I Slow Roast Cherry Tomatoes?
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 280F/140C and prepare a sheet pan with baking paper.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and arrange them on the baking paper.
- Sprinkle all the tomatoes with salt.
- Slide the sheet pan in the oven and let the tomatoes dry for at least 3 hours. Make sure to check on them.
- Once the tomatoes are dry, but still soft, they are done.
- Add them to the jar, together with the garlic and herbs.
What To Do With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes?
- Add them to a chicken salad instead of fresh tomatoes for a rich flavor.
- Blend them into your favorite sauces.
- Finely chop them and sauté with chicken pieces for a quick lunch.
How Long Do Slow Roasted Tomatoes Last In The Fridge?
They can last up to two weeks when refrigerated.
Homemade Sun Dried Cherry Tomatoes Recipe and Nutritional Information:
Homemade Sun-Dried Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes (1kg)
- ¾ cup olive oil (enough to cover the tomatoes when storing)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt (more or less to your own tastes)
- Preheat the oven to 280F/140C.
- Prepare a sheet pan with baking paper.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Remove the stem and core if desired.
- Arrange the tomatoes cut side up on the baking paper. This amount of cherry tomatoes usually fills 2 sheet pans.
- Sprinkle all the tomatoes lightly with salt.
- Slide the sheet pans into the oven and let dry for at least 3 hours, keeping an eye on them every 30 minutes once the first 2 hours have elapsed.
- The cherry tomatoes are done when they are dry, but still "soft" - you want to avoid any browning, because that can make them bitter.
- Once they are done, add them to a jar, together with the garlic and herbs. Store in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
Looking For More Recipes With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes:
- Cucumber Noodles /w Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
- Sun-dried Tomato Basil Chicken Zucchini
- Keto Sun-dried Tomato Chicken Frittata Recipe
- Mozzarella Pesto Sundried Tomato Stuffed Chicken
Did You Make These Roasted Cherry Tomatoes?
If you baked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it helps us improve our recipes!
You can also give us a follow on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram – we love staying connected!
I also would like to know if its possible to can these in a water bath to last longer than in the fridge? I would like to store them in the pantry. Thank you for your answer g
Can these be canned using a water bat??
Great recipe but olive oil is a bad medium to store them in since it hardens in the fridge. Sunflower oil stays liquid so it allows for immediate use (instead of having to wait for the oil to thaw)
Kaci Mcloughlin says
Will they really only last 2 weeks?
So much cheaper than store bought and I LOVE them so much!!