Everyone loves a perfect medium rare steak. And everyone will love it even more topped with a zingy Chimichurri sauce. Chimichurri sauce, originally from Argentina, is a delicious fresh condiment that is great to use in a variety of ways. One of the more popular ways being as topping for steak.
We use our own easy Chimichurri Sauce recipe. Made with fresh herbs and aromatics, it is the ultimate flavor complement for a simple and delicious piece of steak.
What Seasoning Do I Put On A Steak?
With steak, simple is best. Generously season your steak with salt and black pepper and be sure to use a hot pan. Check out this ultimate guide on cooking the perfect steak by bbcgoodfood.com
You can also elevate the flavor by adding a bit of onion and garlic powder, but for most cases – a well seasoned salt and pepper steak is king.
What Goes Well With Chimichurri Steak?
A delicious chimichurri steak goes well with most side dishes. Feel free to check out some of our personal favorites listed below:
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Sauteéd Green Beans
- Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach
- Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad
How To Make Chimichurri Steak:
Putting a fresh spin on a regular piece of steak is easy, and once you’ve had a taste of chimichurri steak, you’ll wish you tried it sooner.
The Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Season the steak well with salt and pepper on both sides. Be generous with the salt. We also like to add a bit of ground coriander and thyme, but this is optional. (Photo 1 & 2)
- Sear the steak well on both sides in a hot pan. For our 1” thick steak, we cooked it about 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare. (An internal temperature of 63C/145F). (Photo 3)
- Cover with foil and let the steak rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the steak into strips and top with chimichurri sauce. (Photo 4)
What Are The Internal Temperatures For Steak:
- Blue: 54C or 130F
- Rare: 57C or 135F
- Medium Rare: 63C or 145F
- Medium: 71C or 160F
- Well: 75C or 167F
Looking For More Beef Recipes?
For more healthy low carb keto and paleo beef recipes, check out any of these yummy options from our archives:
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- One Pot Amish Beef and Cabbage Skillet
- Cheesy Zucchini Bake with Corn and Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Hamburger Soup
We also have a Ground Beef Roundup featuring great recipes from other bloggers: Keto Ground Beef Recipes
Did You Make This Recipe?
- 1 steak (we used a large 50oz steak, about ½” thick)
- ½ cup chimichurri sauce (add more or less to taste)
- to taste salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon ground coriande (optional)
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- Allow the steak to come to room temperature. Take it out of the fridge about 20-30 minutes before you’re ready to cook it.
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper. Don’t be shy on the salt - it’s pretty hard to over salt a steak. Add any other seasonings or herbs at this point if you’d like.
- Cook the steak about 3-4 minutes per side. (This is assuming you have a ½” thick steak. Check the post for a link on how to cook the perfect steak).
- Cover the steak with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice into strips and top with chimichurri sauce to taste.