This deliciously easy Chimichurri Sauce for steak needs just 8 simple ingredients and 5 minutes. Perfect for cooking and as a table condiment. Gluten-Free. Low-Carb. Keto. Paleo. Whole 30.
Our recipe for chimichurri sauce strays a little from the authentic Argentinian version with the addition of cilantro and lemon juice. Although the dominant flavor is still parsley.
What Does Chimichurri Sauce Taste Like?
Since the bulk of the sauce is fresh herbs (parsley, and cilantro in our case), it has a very strong “herby” or even “grassy” taste. The garlic, as well as the lemon juice and vinegar gives it pungent and tangy notes as well.
What Is Chimichurri Used For?
Chimichurri is traditionally used in cooking, as well as a table sauce. It’s especially delicious on steak, but quite franky – it can be delicious on anything.
So, if you’re wondering what Chimichurri is good with, here’s some of our favorite ways to use it:
- As a sauce for roasted vegetables. Just mix a scoop or two to coat freshly roasted vegetables. See our Chimichurri Roasted Vegetables recipe.
- Add a bit to a simple chopped salad for a deliciously tangy dressing.
- Scoop some on a perfect medium-rare steak.
- A dollop on baked potatoes.
- A topping for scrambled eggs.
How Long Does Chimichurri Last?
Chimuichurri can last up to 3 weeks in the fridge. Since it is made with fresh ingredients, you will be able see when it starts going bad. The fresh herbs will start going dark and the sauce will taste less fresh and zingy.
If you’ve made a large batch, your best bet is to freeze some of it for use at a later time. Chimichurri Sauce will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. The easiest way is storing it a covered ice tray.
How To Make Chimichurri Sauce:
Chimichurri Sauce is extremely easy to make and takes no time at all. This recipe makes plenty, so you’ll have a delicious sauce/topping for the next few meals to come.
The Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Cilantro
- Dried Oregano
- Red Chilli Flakes
- Lemon Juice
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor. (Photo 1)
- Blitz until well combined and still slightly chunky. (Photo 2)
- Stir and serve. (Photo 3 & 4)
Looking For More Homemade Sauce Recipes?
For more healthy low carb keto and paleo sauce recipes, check out any of these yummy options from our archives:
Also, Sarah from GreenandKeto.com created this great roundup of 25 Keto Sauces, which is definitely worth a visit.
Did You Make This Recipe?
If you’ve made our Chimichurri Sauce recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!
- 2 cups fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ shallots (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup avocado oil (or oil of preference)
- to taste salt and pepper
- Blits everything together in a food processor to desired consistency, but leaving it on the chunkier side is preferable.
Tips and Tricks:1. This sauce is amazing with steak and vegetable – to marinade and for dipping! 2. It’s also great as a zippy table condiment for just about anything – like sprucing up your scrambled eggs for breakfast!
This recipe was first published on October 18, 2017 and updated on March 30, 2020 to include new photos, video, detailed step-by-step instructions and faqs.