This is a quick and easy Instant Pot Cottage Pie Recipe that the whole family will love. Needs 8 fresh ingredients and 30 minutes total to prepare. Paleo. Whole 30, Gluten-Free.
Making a pressure cooker cottage pie makes your life easier, because everything gets cooked in one pot. There’s no need to cook the potatoes or the meat and vegetables separately, so you’ll save yourself time with the cooking AND cleaning process.
Cottage pie is a classic winter comfort dish that never fails to please the family. The ingredients are simple and the method is straight-forward.
This specific recipe uses sweet potato, but if you’re not doing paleo, Whole30, or keto – feel free to use regular potato or a mix of the two.
How To Cook Cottage Pie In A Pressure Cooker?
- ground beef
- frozen mixed vegetables
- tomato paste
- sweet potato
- herbs/spices (thyme, oregano, celery seed)
- On the sauté setting, cook the ground beef and onion together until the ground beef is browned. (Photo 1)
- Add everything else. (Photo 2)
- Carefully put your wire rack over the ground beef mix. Put your quartered sweet potatoes on top. (Photo 3)
- Seal the lid, set it to cook for 10 minutes on high pressure. When done, carefully remove the potatoes and mash them. (Photo 4)
- Pour the ground beef into a casserole dish, top with the mashed potatoes and slide under the broiler. (Photo 5)
- Once the potato gets a bit brown and crisp on top, you’re ready to serve! (Photo 6)
What Is Best To Serve With Cottage Pie?
Since cottage pie already contains vegetables and starch, it pairs best with a basic salad. You could also serve vegetables that are NOT in the cottage pie as a side, like broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Mince In A Pressure Cooker?
If you’re cooking fresh meat, it can take from 10-15 minutes on average. If you’re cooking from frozen, then it can take 20-25 minutes or longer. Cooking times also depend the amount and weight of the meat you’re cooking.
Best Instant Pot Paleo Whole 30 Cottage Pie Recipe and Nutritional Facts / Calories:
Best Easy Instant Pot Cottage Pie
For the ground beef:
- 1lb ground beef (500g)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms (approximately 100g)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
For the mashed potato:
- 800 g sweet potato (peeled and quartered)
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- to taste salt and pepper
- On the sauté setting, add a bit of oil to the instant pot and cook the ground beef and onions together until the ground beef is browned.
- Add all the rest of the ground beef ingredients and stir.
- Add your wire rack to the pot and carefully place the potatoes on top.
- Set the instant pot to cook for 10 minutes on high (manually). You can quick release the pressure when it’s done.
- Now, carefully remove the potatoes and roughly mash with the butter and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to personal taste.
- Pour the mince into a casserole dish (I used a 10′ x 6′). Carefully spread the potato over the mince. I like to take a fork and make some squiggles on top.
- Slide under the broiler until the potato starts to crisp and brown slightly (about 2-3 minutes.)
Tips and Tricks:1. If you’re okay with diary, add a generous helping of cheese of top for an extra layer of yumminess.
Looking For More Ground Beef Recipes:
- Easy One Pot Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff
- The Best Easy Paleo Bolognese Meat Sauce Recipe
- One Pot Amish Beef and Cabbage Skillet
- Cheesy Zucchini Bake with Corn and Ground Beef
Did You Make This Instant Pot Cottage Pie Recipe?
If you baked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it helps us improve our recipes!