Another old classic that’s a staple in our house. And these days, with an instant pot, we eat it even more often.
This paleo and whole 30 friendly cottage pie recipe is so quick and easy, you’re really be missing out not giving it a try!
My personal experience with the instant pot is that it’s not actually THAT much more instant than cooking on a stove. Maybe if you’re talking about cooking a whole chicken or a beef roast you’ll save a bunch of time, but for regular every day recipes it’s not exactly the case.
What’s different about our easy instant pot cottage pie recipe though, is that you’re cooking everything at once and because you’re cooking potato, you’re ACTUALLY saving a bunch of time doing it this way.
You’re saving time and everything gets cooked in one pot, which isn’t feasible on the stove. So, no complaints there!
How to make the Best Instant Pot Cottage Pie?
Well, it honestly can’t be any simpler. Here we go:
- On the saute setting, cook the ground beef and onion together until the ground beef is browned.
- Add everything else.
- Carefully put your wire rack over the ground beef mix.
- Put your quartered sweet potatoes on top (or regular potatoes, or a mix of the two)
- Seal the lid, set it to cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Once it’s done, carefully remove the potatoes and mash, adding some butter or coconut cream.
- Next, pour the ground beef into a casserole dish, top with the mashed potatoes and slide under the broiler.
- Once the potato gets a bit brown and crisp on top, you’re ready to serve!
It’s so easy and flavorful and is one of my personal favorite weeknight meals. Especially in winter time! It’s comfort food at its finest.
We use sweet potato for this dish, but if you’re not Paleo or Whole 30, feel free to use regular potato or a mix of the two!
If you’re looking for more easy recipes that use ground beef, check out these:
- Easy One Pot Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff
- The Best Easy Paleo Bolognese Meat Sauce Recipe
- One Pot Amish Beef and Cabbage Skillet
- Cheesy Zucchini Bake with Corn and Ground Beef
Pin It! Best Instant Pot Cottage Pie!
Best Instant Pot Paleo Whole 30 Cottage Pie Recipe and Nutritional Facts / Calories:
Best Easy Instant Pot Cottage Pie
For the ground beef:
- 1lb ground beef (500g)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms (approximately 100g)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
For the mashed potato:
- 800 g sweet potato (peeled and quartered)
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- to taste salt and pepper
- On the sauté setting, add a bit of oil to the instant pot and cook the ground beef and onions together until the ground beef is browned.
- Add all the rest of the ground beef ingredients and stir.
- Add your wire rack to the pot and carefully place the potatoes on top.
- Set the instant pot to cook for 10 minutes on high (manually). You can quick release the pressure when it’s done.
- Now, carefully remove the potatoes and roughly mash with the butter and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to personal taste.
- Pour the mince into a casserole dish (I used a 10′ x 6′). Carefully spread the potato over the mince. I like to take a fork and make some squiggles on top.
- Slide under the broiler until the potato starts to crisp and brown slightly (about 2-3 minutes.)