So, to our big surprise – White River, a small town outside of Nelspruit, has a new Mexican Restaurant. Yeah, you read that right. A Mexican restaurant right here! Hell to the yeahhh! The only problem that seems to plague South African Mexican restaurants though, is the fact that they all seem to try to put a South African spin on things. Like, why mess with perfection…? Am I right or am I right?
Regardless, the food is still pretty good. My favorite thing that I tried at this little joint in our neck of the woods is a Pulled Pork Taco. It, of course, immediately inspired a “gotta make my own version of this” moment and sent my gears spinning.
The pulled pork taco had a little slaw on it and as I was eating, I noticed that it had a few bits of apple in it. Apple? Uhm…genius! What an awesome way to add that perfect hint of sweetness to a dish while still being perfectly healthy. I have no idea why I’ve never thought of that. So, thanks South African Mexican Pulled Pork Taco for introducing me to this very unique and groundbreaking concept. (Sarcasm.)
This inspired me to create an apple-centric Cilantro Apple Slaw using a less sweet Granny Smith Apple, which also adds an awesome crunch. It’s the perfect apple for something like this, but of course, I might be biased. Granny Smith apples are my favorite by far.
Since pork and apple go perfect together and is a classic culinary combination, there’s no reason it wouldn’t work on a taco, right? Right! Next week we’re posting our Spicy Pork Taco recipe, so be on the lookout for that!
If healthy tacos are what you’re after, here’s a few more ideas:
- 11 Best Low-Carb Taco Recipes
- Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps – Cooking Classy
- Low-Carb Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Blackened Mahi Lettuce Tacos with Cajun Remoulade
- Mediterranean Chicken Lettuce Wrap Tacos – Martha Stewart
Cilantro Apple Slaw – Pin It!
- Cut the apple into thin strips and mix with the cabbage, carrot and cilantro.
- In a jar, shake together the oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.