This is an easy recipe for Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes. It needs 5 basic ingredients (plus a few spices) and only 30 minutes to prepare. Gluten-Free. Paleo. Whole 30. Vegetarian.
This delicious green beans and potatoes recipe from South Africa is the perfect way to spice things up if you’re bored of your regular old mashed potatoes. The green beans and onions add a new level of flavor to the potatoes that the whole family will love.
This is the perfect side dish to a nice piece of steak, a roast chicken, or as an addition to a Thanksgiving meal. Chop some scallions and sprinkle over the smashed potatoes to make it look extra good if you’re serving it to family and friends!
How To Make Smashed Potatoes and Green Beans:
- green beans
- herbs and spices (garlic powder, paprika, thyme, parsley, coriander)
- Add the potatoes, green beans, and onion into a pot. Cover the ingredients with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Boil the vegetables until you can easily stick a fork through the potatoes, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drain the excess water then add the cream, butter, and spices immediately.
- Roughly mix everything together until mashed, but still chunky, then serve.
Is There a Difference Between Mashed and Smashed Potatoes?
Mashed potatoes tend to be peeled, boiled, then mixed with butter and cream to make a smooth consistency. Smashed potatoes usually include the skins and are chunkier.
Green Beans and Potato
- 4 large potatoes (chopped into small chunks, about 6-8 cups worth)
- 4 cups green beans (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup cream
Herbs and Spices:
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- to taste salt
- Toss the potatoes, green beans and onion into a pot. Cover with cold water and then bring to a boil.
- Boil the veggies for approximately 20-25 minutes, until you can easily stick a fork through the potatoes. Drain excess water well.
- Immediately add the cream, butter and spices.
- Roughly mix everything together until it is mashed, but still chunky.
Looking For More Potato or Green Beans Recipes:
Did You Make This Green Beans and Potato Recipe?
If you baked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it helps us improve our recipes!