This is an easy recipe for Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes - a versatile side dish that suits many meals.
You'll need 5 fresh ingredients, plus a few simple spices, and only 30 minutes of cooking time. Chop some scallions and sprinkle over this dish to make it look extra nice when serving!
It's suitable for Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole30 meal plans.
You will need:
- green beans
- herbs and spices (garlic powder, paprika, thyme, parsley, coriander)
- Add the potatoes, green beans, and onion into a pot. Cover the ingredients with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Boil the vegetables until you can easily stick a fork through the potatoes, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drain the excess water then add the cream, butter, and spices immediately.
- Roughly mix everything together until mashed, but still chunky, then serve.
Mashed potatoes tend to be peeled, boiled, then mixed with butter and cream to make a smooth consistency. Smashed potatoes usually include the skins and are chunkier.
Green Beans and Potato
- 4 large potatoes (chopped into small chunks, about 6-8 cups worth)
- 4 cups green beans (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup cream
Herbs and Spices:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- to taste salt
- Toss the potatoes, green beans and onion into a pot. Cover with cold water and then bring to a boil.
- Boil the veggies for approximately 20-25 minutes, until you can easily stick a fork through the potatoes. Drain excess water well.
- Immediately add the cream, butter and spices.
- Roughly mix everything together until it is mashed, but still chunky.