In South Africa there’s a very popular family chain restaurant called Spur, and there was a time when I was younger where we must’ve eaten there at least twice a week. We absolutely loved it. One of my very favorite menu items used to be deep fried crumbed mushrooms with tartar sauce. Mmmmmm. It’s still my favorite, now that I think about it.
As a kid, I had it as a main meal and not an appetizer, and I also thought that people might think I’m eating snails, which made me feel very cool and grown up. Hashtag fun story.
Of course, as with most of the recipes on Chirpy, I had to recreate this unhealthy favorite into a healthier, chirpier, everyday recipe. I’ve occasionally seen some almond crusted chicken on the internet and thought that taking that idea and making some healthy crumbed mushrooms is borderline genius – I might just be right, if you like the taste of almond and stuff. Almond Crumbed Mushrooms.
It’s beyond easy too! All you have to do is dip the mushrooms in egg, then in the crumbs, line them neatly on a baking sheet and pop them into the oven for 25-30 minutes. While you wait for the mushroomy goodness, blitz the ingredients for the tartar sauce together and that’s it.
It’s a perfect side, appetizer or even lunch (if you’re the kind of person that has no limit to the amount of mushrooms you can consume, like me. Remember my mushroom restaurant I planned on opening as kid?)
- 6 oz/200g • small button mushrooms
- ½ cup • almonds
- ¼ cup • shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 • eggs
- ½ cup • mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon • capers
- 2 tablespoon • chopped pickles
- 2 tpb • chopped onion
- to taste • salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
- Mix the two eggs together and season with salt and pepper.
- Blitz the almonds in a food processor until it looks like breadcrumbs, and then mix with the shredded parmesan.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a paper towel and dip in the egg mixture and then in the crumbs.
- Line them up neatly on a lined baking sheet.
- Slide into the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- While you wait for the mushrooms to cook, blitz together the mayonnaise, capers, pickles and onion to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Almond Crumbed Mushrooms – Pin it!