Creamed spinach is a classic and popular dish around the holiday season, but also perfect for any time of the year!
This delicious creamed spinach uses mashed cauliflower as a creamy base while topped with melted mozzarella. What’s not to love?!
Spinach is a superfood packed full of magnesium, folate, and manganese - while cauliflower is high in vitamins C and K, and is a rich source of fiber (along with many other benefits!)
The combination of healthy ingredients in this dish makes it a fantastic side to add some nutrients to your plate!
You will need:
- frozen (or fresh) spinach
- heavy cream
- ground nutmeg
- Start boiling the cauliflower for at least 10 minutes. (Photo 1)
- Sauté the onion until soft and translucent while the cauliflower boils. (Photo 2)
- Add the spinach and nutmeg to the pan. Cook until the spinach if warmed through. (Photo 3)
- Scoop the soft cauliflower with a slotted spoon and add to your food processor. (Photo 4)
- Blitz it with the cream and butter until smooth. Taste and season it with salt and pepper. (Photo 5)
- Mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together. (Photo 6)
- Add the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle extra cheese on top. (Photo 7)
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden and then your keto creamed spinach is ready to serve. (Photo 8)
You can keep your leftovers in the fridge (covered in an airtight container) for up to 3 days. When you are ready, reheat gently over low heat while continuously stirring (or microwave in 1-minute increments until hot, stirring in between increments.), serve, and enjoy again!
This is most likely due to overcooking the spinach. You will notice the leaves becoming slimy and the bitter flavors will become more prominent.
Either option is perfectly fine! If using frozen, just follow the instructions of the package before moving on to the next steps.
Yes. Spinach is low in carbs and suitable for the keto diet.
Spinach does contain carbs, but very few. Keep in mind that spinach loses its volume when cooking. A cup of raw spinach contains about 1g of carbs, while a cup of cooked spinach contains about 4g net carbs.
Easy Cheesy Keto Creamed Spinach
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 4 cups cauliflower (we used a small head of cauliflower and cut it into small florets)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ cup mozzarella (shredded - plus a little extra for on top)
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- to taste salt and pepper
- Turn on your broiler.
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to the boil. Once it boils, add the cauliflower florets and boil for approximately 10 minutes (or until soft).
- While the cauliflower boils, caramelize the onion in a little bit of butter and oil [butter for flavor, oil to keep it from burning] until soft and translucent and and then add the spinach and nutmeg. Cook until the spinach is warmed through.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, use a slotted spoon to scoop the florets into a food processor. Add the cream and butter. Blitz the cauliflower until smooth. Taste and then season with salt and pepper.
- Now mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together, taste test and add more salt if needed, and scoop into a cast iron pan or small baking dish.
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
⭐ variations ⭐
- Try different cheeses. Use Gouda or Cheddar instead of Mozzarella for a stronger flavor, or crumbled feta. My favorite is Pepper Jack!
- Add chopped bacon bits for a crispy, savory surprise!
- Add other veggies like artichoke hearts.