This delicious Low-Carb Keto Creamed Spinach uses mashed cauliflower as a creamy base. It needs only 8 simple ingredients and 20 minutes to prepare. Gluten-Free. Low-Carb and Keto-friendly.
Traditional creamed spinach recipes contain flour, but this side uses creamy mashed cauliflower to thicken the dish. Using a vegetable-based sauce is a great option if you need a recipe for keto creamed spinach without cream cheese (a popular thickener).
This creamed spinach is a classic accompaniment to any protein, whether it be steak, poultry or fish. The best way, in our opinion, is to serve it with a big, juicy steak.
This recipe is a great way to get your kids to eat vegetables, because it transforms them into something ridiculously delicious!
How To Make This Low-Carb Keto Creamed Spinach?
- frozen spinach
- heavy cream
- ground nutmeg
- Start boiling the cauliflower for at least 10 minutes. (Photo 1)
- Sauté the onion until soft and translucent while the cauliflower boils. (Photo 2)
- Add the spinach and nutmeg to the pan. Cook until the spinach if warmed through. (Photo 3)
- Scoop the soft cauliflower with a slotted spoon and add to your food processor. (Photo 4)
- Blitz it with the cream and butter until smooth. Taste and season it with salt and pepper. (Photo 5)
- Mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together. (Photo 6)
- Add the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle extra cheese on top. (Photo 7)
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden and then serve. (Photo 8)
Is Spinach OK On Keto?
Yes. Spinach is low in carbs and suitable for the keto diet.
Is Spinach a Carb?
Spinach does contain carbs, but very few. Keep in mind that spinach loses its volume when cooking. A cup of raw spinach contains about 1g of carbs, while a cup of cooked spinach contains about 4g net carbs.
Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 4 cups cauliflower (we used a small head of cauliflower and cut it into small florets)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ cup mozzarella (shredded – plus a little extra for on top)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- to taste salt and pepper
- Turn on your broiler.
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to the boil. Once it boils, add the cauliflower florets and boil for approximately 10 minutes (or until soft).
- While the cauliflower boils, caramelize the onion in a little bit of butter and oil [butter for flavor, oil to keep it from burning] until soft and translucent and and then add the spinach and nutmeg. Cook until the spinach is warmed through.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, use a slotted spoon to scoop the florets into a food processor. Add the cream and butter. Blitz the cauliflower until smooth. Taste and then season with salt and pepper.
- Now mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together, taste test and add more salt if needed, and scoop into a cast iron pan or small baking dish.
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Looking For More Healthy Side Dishes:
- Zucchini with Tomato and Parmesan
- Curry Green Beans with Feta
- Green Bean Casserole
- 3 Ingredient BBQ Mushroom Skewers
Did You Make This Keto Creamed Spinach Recipe?
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it helps us improve our recipes!