The Recipe Card, Instructional Video and Nutritional Information is at the bottom of the post, but don’t be too hasty! The post contains all my tips and tricks.
Mmmm spinach…. I love me some spinach. My favorite way to eat my beloved spinach is creamed.
Creamed spinach recipes, sadly, contains flour, but fear no more, because that little fact forced us to invent this a.m.a.z.i.n.g. side dish recipe -> Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach ohhhh yeah!
This recipe is definitely a family favorite. Yes, I say that almost every time we post a recipe, but this time it’s more true than the other times (I may or may not say that every time too, but that’s besides the point).
This Spinach and Cauliflower Gratin is a surefire way to get your kids to eat vegetables, because it transforms it into something ridiculously delicious.
How to make healthy creamed spinach?
Not only does it use just 7 ingredients, it only takes about 20 minutes to make. Say whaaat?! Sauté the onion in some butter until soft, and add the spinach.
While that happens the cauliflower boils away for 10 minutes.
As soon as those are done, scoop them into your food processor and blitz it with some cream and butter.
Stir everything together with some cheese, add more cheese on top, broil, and done! Scoop it onto your plate and enjoy!
This is a perfect side dish since for pretty much anything, but it goes especially well with a nice piece of steak.
It’s also pretty easy to transform this spinach recipe in a vegan one – just omit the cheese, butter and cream. I’ve tried it that way and it definitely still packs a punch in the flavor department.
Eating healthy vegetables side dishes has definitely never tasted this good.
For more healthy side-dishes, check out some of our other yummy recipes:
- Zucchini with Tomato and Parmesan
- Curry Green Beans with Feta
- Carrot Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Sweet Corn Salad
Also, go have a look at these great cauliflower recipes and roundups from other bloggers:
- Mushroom Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- Cheesy Cauliflower Muffins
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- 9 Keto Casserole Recipes
Pin it! Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach
Cauliflower Creamed Spinach Instructional Video
Cauliflower and Spinach Side Dish Recipe:
Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 4 cups cauliflower (we used a small head of cauliflower and cut it into small florets)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded – plus a little extra for on top)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- to taste salt and pepper
- Turn on your broiler.
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to the boil. Once it boils, add the cauliflower florets and boil for approximately 10 minutes (or until soft).
- While the cauliflower boils, caramelize the onion in a little bit of butter and oil [butter for flavor, oil to keep it from burning] until soft and translucent and and then add the spinach and nutmeg. Cook until the spinach is warmed through.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, use a slotted spoon to scoop the florets into a food processor. Add the cream and butter. Blitz the cauliflower until smooth. Taste and then season with salt and pepper.
- Now mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together, taste test and add more salt if needed, and scoop into a cast iron pan or small baking dish.
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.