It’s been a couple of weeks since our last post and I’m just going to pretend the reason for that is because we’ve been making the most of what’s left of summer. It sounds better than saying we’ve been having a bit of a slump in the motivational department. To emphasize the “slump in motivation” point, today we share another recipe that belongs to my aunt Deidré, who (lucky us) has a pretty big supply of yummy signature recipes and who (lucky us) doesn’t mind sharing said recipes. So, Curry Green Beans with Feta is here today to rescue us from our slump (hopefully)! Yasss!
If I remember correctly, this recipe maybe, maybe not, originated from a green bean recipe my mom makes. My aunt put her own spin on it, because of a lack of ingredients, and in the process created a brand new, completely different, delicious recipe in its place.
Not only is it super flavor-packed, but it’s also pretty quick to make and goes great with basically everything – in my opinion at least. This is great, since the temperatures slowly but surely keep cooling down, and easy, warm and comfy side dishes are exactly what we need. And this one definitely ticks all those boxes.
While we’re on the topic of cooling temperatures… Since late 2013, I’ve been back and forth between South Africa and the US and because of awesome timing, I’ve basically lived in an endless summer. Until this year that is. I’m not going to lie, I am just a tiny bit scared. Not only have I never experienced a true American winter myself (the part of South Africa I’m from basically has a hot season and a slightly less hot season), but we’ll also have a brand spankin’ new…newborn. In winter. In the cold. Yeeek! It seems very daunting and I always catch myself googling “how to dress a winter newborn” even though I’ve already read every blog post and tip on the subject. I guess we’ll just have to stay holed up inside, wrapped in blankets all winter. Just to be safe.
Luckily, by the time the baby gets here, we’ll be settled into our cozy tiny house, which will be pretty easy to keep warm and comfortable I’m assuming since it’s so tiny. We’ll also keep things warm by cooking warm, cozy meals in our brand new kitchen – with this Curry Green Beans pretty high up on our list of “Things We Can’t Wait To Cook In Our Brand New Kitchen”.
Here are some more warm, delicious sides:
- Green Bean Mashed Potatoes
- Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach
- Carrot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Garlic Green Beans
- 12 oz/350g • green beans [tops and bottoms removed]
- 1 • small onion [diced]
- 1 cup • vegetable broth/water
- 2 tsp • mild curry powder
- ¼ cup • feta [plus a little more for on top]
- to taste • salt and pepper
- • lard for cooking
- Sauté the onion in some lard, on a medium/low heat until soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the broth, curry powder, salt and pepper and simmer until the beans reach your desired level of tenderness. We cooked it for about 10 minutes.
- Add the ¼ of feta and stir until the feta is melted, which also causes the sauce to thicken.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with a sprinkle of feta for garnish.
Pin it! Curry Green Beans With Feta