Fried Rice – it’s fast food, but at the same time a warm and cozy thing to eat, which is beyond perfect for the crazy rainy weather we’ve been experiencing. Even though Hurricane Joaquin was a no-show (luckily), it’s been raining non-stop forEVER. A 1000-year record rainfall according to the news, which sounds a bit absurd, but judging by the swimming pool-looking streets, might just be true.
Anyway, since we’re healthy whole food lovers, what could possibly be better than regular fried rice? Cauliflower “Fried Rice” of course! Which means you get all the yumminess and non of the carbs.
It’s a truly delicious side and Cody, especially, was very impressed with it. He suggested serving it to his brother and dad, saying that he doubts they would even realize it’s not real fried rice. That’s a pretty amazing recipe review from Mr Taste Tester. When you recreate favorites into a healthy low carb meal, “it tastes exactly like the regular would” is exactly what you want to hear.
What’s most wonderful about it, is that you can add chicken, beef, or shrimp and make a main meal from it. A really quick and easy main meal! Yummy!
It literally only takes a few minutes of chopping, a few minutes of cooking, a splash of soy sauce and then you’re ready to dig in!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 4 cups cauliflower (blender or chopped into “rice”)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup carrot (about 2 carrots - diced)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- to taste salt and pepper
- Whisk the two eggs together and cook like scrambled eggs, but make larger chunks. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion and carrot together until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and sauté for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the peas and corn and cook for another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Push everything to the sides of the pan, to create an opening in the center of the pan.
- Mix the egg and then pour into the center of the pan. Stir carefully until cooked. You need to avoid mixing the egg with the cauliflower rice.
- Lastly, when the egg is cooked. Mix everything together until evenly combined.
- Serve with a splash of soy sauce.