This is a quick, easy, healthy and flavor-packed Salsa Chicken Recipe. No effort dinner on the table with barely any hands-on time. A crowd-pleaser chicken recipe for sure. 5 Ingredients. 30 Minutes. Keto. Low-Carb. Gluten-Free.
Ah Chicken. One of the best foods. With almost unlimited ways to prepare it, no wonder it’ll always be a firm favorite.
Ever Wonder What You Can Make With Salsa?
Well, wonder no more – This yummy salsa chicken bake is a regular on our weeknight menu rotation, and for good reason. Juicy chicken, zippy mexican salsa and melted mozzarella – you definitely can’t go wrong with this combination!
Salsa. It’s been around for thousands of years and I’m happier because of it! Read this interesting article about The History Of Salsa.
It’s so much more than a dip for tortilla chips. Here’s some ways we use salsa to make delicious meal even more delicious:
- Top scrambled eggs with salsa and a dollop of sour cream for an extra yummy breakfast.
- Stir into chopped sautéed vegetables for an extra kick of flavor.
- Stir into chopped salad for a zippy dressing.
- And of course, baked with chicken breasts for tender, juicy and delicious meat.
We’ve also roundup some recipes from our archives and from other great bloggers here: 8 Mouthwatering Recipes With Salsa.
How To Make Salsa Chicken?
This baked Mexican Salsa Chicken casserole is healthy, quick, easy and delicious! 5 Minutes of hands-on time and 25 minutes in the oven is all you need!
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Chicken Breasts
- Salsa (We use our yummy homemade restaurant style salsa – find it here -> Real Restaurant Style Salsa)
- Ground Cumin and Coriander
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
How To Cook Salsa Chicken, Step-By-Step Instructions:
- Butterfly the chicken breasts (cut them all the way through so there’s 8 thinner pieces of chicken). Arrange in a casserole dish. (Photo 1)
- Sprinkle with Cumin, Coriander, Salt and Pepper. (Photo 2)
- Spoon and spread salsa over each piece. (Photo 3)
- Top with a slice of cheese. We prefer white gouda. (Photo 4)
- Pop into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. (Photo 5)
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh coriander, serve and enjoy! (Photo 6)
How Long Does It Take To Bake A Chicken Breast:
With Chicken Breasts, timing is very much dependent on the size and thickness of the pieces and the temperature of the oven.
In this recipe, we’ve butterflied the breasts, so they ended up being about ½” thick. We used a hot oven (400F/200C). The cold salsa and cheese on top also affects the cooking time, so best practice is using a meat thermometer.
Chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature on 165F/73C in the thickest part of the breast.
With this recipe, it takes 20-25 minutes to reach that temperate, but when doing this at home, you can test the temperate at any point after 18 minutes to ensure that you do not overcook the chicken.
What To Serve With Salsa Chicken?
Salsa chicken is so simple and delicious, but the question on everyone’s mind is usually – what side dishes go with it?
- Our favorite side dish to serve with healthy Salsa Chicken with is our Chopped Mexican Salad. It has everything you need in a side dish with fresh, delicious ingredients and a zippy dressing.
- Sometimes we also like to add some Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice to bulk up the meal a little.
- Sour Cream, Fresh Avocado Slices and roughly chopped fresh coriander on top of the chicken is also delicious!
- If you’re not on a low-carb diet, a warm tortilla on the side always goes down a treat. You can also try a Low Carb Tortilla recipe like this one from Wholesome Yum!
Looking For More Easy Low Carb Keto Chicken Breast Recipes?
We’ve also got some other easy and delicious chicken breast recipes if this didn’t tickle your fancy, plus a few of our personal favorites from other bloggers.
- Honey Mustard Stuffed Chicken
- Cilantro Pesto Zoodles with Seared Chicken and Tomato
- Chicken Al Forno
- Mozzarella Pesto Sundried Tomato Stuffed Chicken
- 13 Easy Keto Recipes with Chicken Breast
- Baked Crack Chicken Breasts by AndreasNews.com
- Low Carb Keto Garlic Parmesan Chicken by EasyFamilyRecipes.com
Have You Made This Salsa Chicken Recipe?
If you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!
- 4 chicken breasts (butterflied)
- 1 cup salsa (¼ cup per breast)
- ½ cup cheese (shredded) or about 100g/4oz sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- to taste salt and pepper
- to taste oil (for cooking)
- garnish fresh chopped coriander (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF
- Butterfly the chicken (cut them all the way through so you have 8 thinner pieces).
- Season the chicken with the coriander, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken in a casserole dish and top each piece with approximately ¼ cup of salsa.
- Top each a slice of cheese (or a sprinkle of shredded cheese).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve immediately.
This Chicken Salsa Recipe was first published on September 27, 2017 and updated on February 12, 2020 to include detailed step-by-step instructions and faqs.