This recipe is taking “junk food made healthy” to a whole new level. I guess when you’re just starting out on your health journey, it’s pretty appealing to make healthy versions of all your favorite junk food. It’s that way for me, at least.
Whenever I’ve fallen off the track a bit, and haven’t eaten as healthy as I probably should and could have – I always find myself thinking along the lines of this post. Healthy KFC? Why not!
- Some easy peasy cauliflower mash.
- Grilled chicken with a similar blend of herbs and spices in the KFC secret recipe.
- A handful of corn kernels.
- Au Jus.
- A sprinkling of cheese.
It’s definitely not a real KFC Famous Bowl, but certainly a very delicious (and healthy!) meal inspired by it.
Cauliflower mash is definitely something sent our way by die health gods. It’s as healthy as can be, and legitimately delicious. Especially when you spruce it up with a tablespoon or two of sour cream. Mix in a bit handful of corn kernels and you’d have to be one serious fussy butt to not think this is pretty darn delicious.
Pan-seared chicken deliciously seasoned takes only minutes to cook and is succulent and flavor-packed. Adding half a cup of chicken stock to the pan with the chicken drippings and stirring a knob of cold butter gives you a thin, but delicious “au jus”.
Topping everything off with freshly grated cheese, makes for one yummy bowl of food even the kids will thoroughly enjoy!
If you’re looking for more healthy-fied junk food recipes, then look no further!
- Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- Cauliflower Gnocchi with Bacon Cream Sauce
- Zoodles in Cheesy Tomato Sauce
- 20 Minute Cheese Steak Skillet
- Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Breakfast
Pin It! Healthy Homemade KFC Famous Bowl!
- 2 • chicken breast [cut into bite-sized pieces]
- 1 • cauliflower head [cut into florets]
- 1/4 cup • grated cheese
- 1 tbsp • butter [cold from the fridge]
- 2 tbsp • sour cream
- 1 tsp • garlic powder
- 1/2 cup • chicken stock
- 1/2 cup • sweet corn kernels [canned or frozen - cooked to instructions]
- Spice Mix:
- 1/2 tsp • dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp • dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp • dried basil
- 1/2 tsp • mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp • garlic powder
- 1 tsp • paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the cauliflower mash:
- Boil the cauliflower florets until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, carefully spoon the cauliflower into a food processor.
- Add the sour cream, 1 tsp of garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Blitz until smooth. If necessary, add a little bit of the cooking liquid to get it started.
- Stir in the corn.
- For the chicken:
- Mix the herbs and spices and pour over the chicken. Toss to ensure all the pieces are evenly coated.
- Heat up a skillet and add a bit of oil.
- Cook the chicken until no longer pink and translucent.
- For the Au Jus:
- Add the chicken stock to the skillet used for cooking the chicken.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat and add the butter. Stirring until melted. Add more if you would like the Jus to be thicker.