Low-Carb Sweet Potato Breakfast with Poached Egg – my new favorite breakfast and lunch, as a matter of fact. It’s a quick and easy meal that hits all the right notes. Sweet potato hash topped with some crispy salty bacon pieces, aromatic fresh basil and finally, a soft poached egg that oozes deliciously – binding everything together perfectly. Mmmmm.
Quick meals like this are perfect now that I have to adjust to a new timezone yet again. I love eating fresh, whole foods, but if you’re suffering from jetlag (or just lacking time in general) it can be quite the challenge. With a meal like this you go from pantry to plate in just 20 minutes and that’s exactly what I need in my life right now. You know, with me passing out super early and waking up in the dead of night feeling rested and ready for the day.
I’m definitely not complaining though. I’m finally back in the USA with Cody and we can go full steam into our old schedule of shooting recipes almost every day and posting 3 times a week! Yay!
A new development in Chirpyland is that we’re looking into building our very own tiny house – and hopefully have it done by the end of 2016. You’re not alive if you don’t have a few crazy goals in the back of your head! Cody and I have both been huge fans of the Tiny House Movement for many years and thought that since we’ll be married soon, it’s the perfect time to pull the trigger on that. We’ll be sure to document the whole experience right here on Living Chirpy!
Low-Carb Sweet Potato Breakfast with Poached Egg
- 2 sweet potato (peeled and shredded - should yield about 4 cups)
- 4 eggs
- 8 bacon strips (cooked crispy and roughly chopped)
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (roughl chopped)
- 1 tbsp oil (own preference)
- Cook the sweet potato in the oil over medium-high heat for approximately 10 minutes, until cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the sweet potato cooks, bring a shallow sauce pan filled with water to the boil. Once boiling, bring down to a light simmer. Crack the eggs into the simmering water and let cook for 2-3 minutes for a soft egg. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Divide the sweet potato hash into plates, top each with an egg, chopped bacon and fresh basil.
Pin-It! Low-Carb Sweet Potato Breakfast with Poached Egg