This one goes out to all my South African readers. Even though I grew up eating these frozen Smoked Haddock portions on the regular, I was surprised to find that it seems to be a South African thing.
I suggested cooking this for dinner one night, back when Cody and I still lived in the good ol’ USA . We came to find that there exists no such thing in the USA. At least not where we lived anyway.
Pumped myself up for Smoked Haddock with Creamy Tomato Pepper Sauce all for nothing. 🙁
I was bummed at the time, and the idea kind of slipped out of my mind until one fine day we saw fresh haddock in the fresh fish section. It was better than nothing!
We snatched up a piece and I cooked this recipe using the fillet of fresh haddock. Even though it tasted pretty darn good, it just wasn’t the same.
So, when Cody and I made our big move across the Atlantic, it’s one of the first things I cooked for him after we settled in. He was sold right away and now 100% understands why I raved about this silly frozen “smoked haddock” so much haha!
Now he even requests it for dinner and deeply sniffs the little frozen pieces of fish while we’re prepping. If you live in South Africa and know what Smoked Haddock smells and tastes like – you know how yummy and unique it is.
So, this recipe is basically as simple as it gets. We laid one pack of frozen smoked haddock from Woolworths Food in an oven safe dish – topped with stir-fried onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers mixed with sour cream and finally sprinkled with some cheese. We then popped it in the oven for an hour and voilà! Flavor-packed deliciousness.
This really is one of those all time family favorite recipes we cook a couple of times a month – at the very least. And now we’re sharing it with the world, or at least the rest of South Africa (where these fish packets are easily found).
Don’t be scared to use fresh haddock if you don’t live in South Africa, though! It still tastes great (but admittedly not as amazing as these smoked haddock pieces 😝).
If you’re looking for more fish-spo, check out some these other recipes:
- Blackened Mahi Lettuce Tacos with Cajun Remoulade
- Seared Worcestershire Salmon with Wilted Spinach
- Spicy Creole Flounder
Pin It! Smoked Haddock with Creamy Tomato Pepper Sauce
Smoked Haddock with Creamy Tomato Pepper SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 pack smoked haddock portions
- 1 onion [chopped]
- 2 to matoes [chopped]
- 1 red bell pepper [chopped]
- 1 green bell pepper [chopped]
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese
- butter [for sautéing]
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Melt a knob of butter in a sauté pan.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, coriander, thyme, paprika and sauté for 5-10 minutes. Until the tomato start to disintegrate.
- Add the sour cream and cook until heated. Season with salt and pepper to liking.
- Arrange the haddock pieces in an over save dish and cover with the sauce.
- Top with cheese and bake for 1 hour.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.