This one goes out to all my South African readers. Even though I grew up eating these frozen Smoked Haddock portions on the regular, I was surprised to find that it seems to be a South African thing.
I suggested cooking this for dinner one night, back when Cody and I still lived in the good ol’ USA . We came to find that there exists no such thing in the USA. At least not where we lived anyway.
Pumped myself up for Smoked Haddock with Creamy Tomato Pepper Sauce all for nothing. ????
I was bummed at the time, and the idea kind of slipped out of my mind until one fine day we saw fresh haddock in the fresh fish section. It was better than nothing!
We snatched up a piece and I cooked this recipe using the fillet of fresh haddock. Even though it tasted pretty darn good, it just wasn’t the same.
So, when Cody and I made our big move across the Atlantic, it’s one of the first things I cooked for him after we settled in. He was sold right away and now 100% understands why I raved about this silly frozen “smoked haddock” so much haha!
Now he even requests it for dinner and deeply sniffs the little frozen pieces of fish while we’re prepping. If you live in South Africa and know what Smoked Haddock smells and tastes like – you know how yummy and unique it is.
So, this recipe is basically as simple as it gets. We laid one pack of frozen smoked haddock from Woolworths Food in an oven safe dish – topped with stir-fried onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers mixed with sour cream and finally sprinkled with some cheese. We then popped it in the oven for an hour and voilà! Flavor-packed deliciousness.
This really is one of those all time family favorite recipes we cook a couple of times a month – at the very least. And now we’re sharing it with the world, or at least the rest of South Africa (where these fish packets are easily found).
Don’t be scared to use fresh haddock if you don’t live in South Africa, though! It still tastes great (but admittedly not as amazing as these smoked haddock pieces ????).
If you’re looking for more fish-spo, check out some these other recipes:
- Blackened Mahi Lettuce Tacos with Cajun Remoulade
- Seared Worcestershire Salmon with Wilted Spinach
- Spicy Creole Flounder
Pin It! Smoked Haddock with Creamy Tomato Pepper Sauce
Smoked Haddock with Creamy Tomato Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb frozen smoked haddock portions (400g)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese (we prefer gouda)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, coriander, thyme, paprika and sauté in the oil, in a large sauté pan for 5-10 minutes. Until the tomato start to soften, and “mash”.
- Add the sour cream and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the haddock pieces in a casserole dish, then pour the sauce over the haddock.
- Top with the grated cheese and bake for 1 hour.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Tips and Tricks:1. Fish is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 145F/63C. 2. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can also LOOK at it. If the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, it’s done!