This is a quick and easy recipe for Healthy Apple Crisp, sweetened with honey. You need only 6 Ingredients and 20 Minutes total. Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Paleo. Makes 4 healthy servings.
While I wouldn’t consider any dessert truly healthy, this one comes close with just half an apple in one serving.
This apple crisp is also healthy since it contains just a half tablespoon of honey across four servings. Honey is a natural sweetener that gives you more sweetness when using less than you would with granulated sugar. You can use the equivalent of any sweetener, or forego it completely if you want it fully added-sugar free. In this case I do recommend a sweeter apple.
This recipe uses almond crumbles, and contains no oats! Making it gluten-free and paleo-friendly.
These healthy apple crisps are so quick and easy, and use ingredients you have in your pantry, that you will want to make them on a weekly basis.
Simple ingredients that make for a delicious healthier dessert, perfect for cold days!
You will need:
- coconut oil
- coconut cream
- Peel the apples and chop them into small bite-sized pieces. Cook the apples in a hot pan until soft to your preference. I start by adding half a cup of water, and adding ¼ cup more at a time when the pan goes dry. (Photo 1)
- Add the cinnamon and cream to the apples, stir until combined and set aside. (Photo 2)
- For the healthy apple crisp topping: Toss the almonds, honey and melted butter into a food processor and blitz until it’s as smooth as you prefer. (Photo 3)
- Divide the apples into 4 bowls and top with the crumble. (Photo 4)
- Slide into the oven and bake the apple crumble for 15 minutes until it’s golden on top. (Photo 5)
- Serve immediately with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberries (optional). (Photo 6)
While you won’t get a consistent texture for the apple crisp topping, you can always finely chop the almonds with a knife. The crust will stick together just fine. Simply chop your nuts and add to a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients.
You can enjoy this recipe whether you are dairy-free or not. Butter and coconut oil are interchangeable here. You may either use heavy cream or coconut cream in the apple mixture.
Healthy Apple Crumble
For the Apples:
- 2 large granny smith Apple (cut into small bite-sized cubes, about 2 cups)
- ½ tablespoon honey (sub honey substitute for Low Carb)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup heavy cream (can sub coconut cream for Paleo)
For the Crumble:
- 100 g raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (sub melted coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 tablespoon honey (sub honey substitute for Low Carb)
- Preheat oven 350ºF/180ºC
- Peel the apples (if desired) and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Sauté the apples in a skillet until soft. I like to start by adding a half cup of hot water and adding a ¼ cup every time the water runs out, until the apples are soft. I usually need to do this 2-3 times and it takes about 10 minutes.
- When the apples are soft, add ½ tablespoon honey, ½ cup cream and cinnamon and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Add the almonds, melted butter and honey to a food processor and blitz until fine and combined.
- Divide the apples between 4 oven safe ramekins, top with the almond crumble and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the almond crumble is golden.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberries. (Optional)