Dear Dessert, why are you bad for us? Specifically sugar. Why, sugar, why?! ????
There’s a lot of opportunity in this world for healthy desserts, but we have to be realistic about it. Dessert, even when prepared with whole ingredients, or cut back on refined sugar, will never really be “healthy”.
So, even though our delicious Cinnamon Apple Almond Crumble is definitely on the healthy side of the dessert scale – sweet stuff should always be enjoyed in moderation. I know, I know – it’s heartbreaking.
Our Cinnamon Apple Almond Crumble was inspired by Zellie’s sudden die-hard love for anything apple pie and apple pie related. What triggered this die-hard love was her first bite of little individual apple pies made from scratch by Cody’s aunt Marne.
Even I, not a big fan of cooked fruit, had to admit that they were pretty darn amazing! Long story short – ever since that day we’ve been talking about doing a low-carb dessert inspired by apple pie/apple crumble and that day has finally arrived. Yay!
The goal with this recipe, as with any other low-carb/healthy dessert, was to keep it as simple as humanly possible and to use whole, natural ingredients. So, 6 ingredients later (one of them being optional) we had a delicious dessert on our hands.
How to make Low-Carb Keto Cinnamon Apple Pie / Crumble?
- Chop up an apple, we prefer Granny Smith, and sprinkle it with cinnamon.
- Blend some almonds until they’re very fine – it smells like cookies! No, seriously! Cookies!
- Stir some honey and melted butter into the blended almonds, crumble it on top of the cinnamon-y apple and slip it into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Once that timer pings, your kitchen will most likely smell like heaven and you’ll be drooling just a little bit…maybe.
- Remove the yumminess from the oven and serve it right away with a little bit of plain whipped cream, though it’s entirely optional, we definitely recommend it.
After developing this recipe I think I might finally be converted to a cooked fruit appreciator. Well, cooked APPLE, to be specific. This is a keeper recipe for sure! You’re welcome.
Here’s a couple more ideas if you’re looking for low-carb desserts or sweets:
Pin it! Cinnamon Apple Almond Crumble!
Low Carb Keto Cinnamon Baked Apple Crumble Recipe and Nutritional Information/Calories:
Cinnamon Apple Almond CrumblePrint Pin Rate
- 1 • large Granny Smith apple [cut into small bite-sized cubes]
- 1/2 cup • plain roasted almonds
- 1 tbsp • melted unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp • raw honey
- 1/2 tsp • cinnamon
- 1/2 cup • plain whipped cream
- Preheat oven 350ºF/180ºC
- Mix the apple cubes and cinnamon and divide into two ramekins.
- Blitz the almonds in a food processor until very fine. Stir in the butter and honey.
- Crumble the almond mixture on top of the apples.
- Slide the ramekins into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately as is, or with the whipped cream (recommended).