This recipe has been a staple in our home for many years and it has done a fair bit of evolving over time to reach this level of yumminess. And now, thanks to the Instant Pot, it’s probably one of my very favorite throw-together one pot meals EVER.
This Instant Pot Chicken Stew gets made at least once a week and it usually yields enough for two meals. Can’t argue with an easy recipe that gives enough leftovers for a second meal!
On top of that, it is a nutrient dense meal that tastes absolutely delicious!
How To Cook Instant Pot Chicken Stew?
This Instant Pot Chicken Tomato Stew recipe can be easily adapted to fit a Paleo or Keto diet. If you’re on a Paleo diet, I recommend adding about 2 cups of halved baby potatoes in addition to the other ingredients. For a Keto Chicken Stew, make the recipe as is, or even add some cauliflower florets!
This recipe works great with a whole chicken, chicken pieces, or even a rotisserie chicken.
With a whole stewed chicken I generally remove the chicken for the instant pot after releasing the pressure, and then shred it apart really quick, before adding back to the stew. This is super quick and easy because the meat falls right off the bone. It also helps to distribute the meat evenly throughout the stew.
The Ingredients You Need:
- Canned Tomato
- Chicken Stock
- Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- Grab your instant pot,
- Throw all the ingredients in it. (Photo 1-4)
- Seal the lid.
- Set it to cook for 45 minutes on high pressure. (Photo 5)
- Quick release the pressure once it’s done.
- Voilà! Serve and Enjoy! (Photo 6)
Looking For More Healthy Chicken Recipes?
For more healthy low carb keto and paleo chicken recipes, check out some of our other easy recipes:
- Salsa Chicken
- Shredded Chicken
- Paprika Chicken Skillet
- Ratatouille Chicken Casserole
- Mozzarella Pesto Sundried Tomato Stuffed Chicken
We’ve also rounded up delicious recipes from other bloggers in these roundups:
- 9 Keto Chicken Thigh Recipes
- 9 Keto Recipes With Rotisserie Chicken
- 9 Keto Casseroles With Chicken
- 13 Easy Keto Recipes With Chicken Breast
Did You Make This Recipe?
If you’ve made our Instant Pot Chicken Stew recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!
Instant Pot Chicken Stew [Paleo, Whole 30, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Keto]
- 2 lb chicken pieces (1kg) (see recipe notes)
- 2 onion (diced)
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 cups carrots (diced)
- 2 cups zucchini (diced)
- 2 cups button mushrooms (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped, including the leaves)
- 1 cup chicken stock (add an extra cup if you want it soupy)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- to taste black pepper
- Add ALL the ingredients into your instant pot.
- Seal the lid and set to cook for 45 minutes on HIGH.
- Quick release the pressure.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:1. You can also use a whole chicken, chicken breasts or even rotisserie chicken. (See post for more details). 2. If you choose to use chicken breast, I suggest either cutting them into bite-sized cubes, or letting them cook whole. If you choose to cook them whole, remove and shred the chicken with two forks and add back into the pot.
This Instant Pot Chicken Stew recipe was first published on December 5, 2018 and updated on May 20, 2020 to include more detailed step-by-step instructions.