These Creamy French Onion Potatoes have been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember. It's one of my favorites ever! BUT instead of the usual use of packet soup for flavor, I've recreated it using fresh ingredients.
Off topic thought - Cody and I started taking walks about 2 weeks ago. We've already seen improvements in our time and distance though. Today we walked 2.34km in 27 minutes. We're starting slow and are planning on eventually working up to jogging the routes we've been doing. We need to be more active!
Anyway, let's get back to business. Imagine layers of potatoes, onions and cheese- brought together by a flavorful creamy sauce. Yum. By the way, I am totally aware that we need to invest in new baking dishes! We've been keeping our eyes peeled every time we go out shopping.
These potatoes go great with anything! I would serve it with our Delicious Citrus Chicken.
Creamy French Onion Potatoes - Pin it!
- 2 • large potatoes cooked and sliced
- 1 tablespoon • lard
- 2 • onions [julienne]
- 1 clove • garlic [minced]
- 1 • bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon • dried thyme
- 1 cup • red wine
- 2 cups • heavy cream
- 1 cup • mozzarella cheese
- to taste • salt/pepper
- Get the onions cooking in the fat until they are deliciously caramelized. Yum.
- Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf and red wine to the onions and cook until the wine has completely reduced. Next up, splash the cream in there and let it heat up. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Get out a small baking dish and start layering the potatoes, onions and mozarella. When you got all the potatoes in the dish, scoop the remaining onions and cream sauce on top.
- Finish it off with a sprinkle of cheese on top and slide it into the oven for 20 minutes at 375º and then the broiler for about 5 minutes - until it's a golden bubbly delicious mess.