This yummy Tuna Tomato Zoodle Bake was inspired by one of my very favorite pasta meals made by my lovely aunt Sanize. Delicious zoodles mixed with a luxurious creamy tomato and tuna sauce, topped with cheddar and baked to perfection. This is one of those comforting (but healthy) meals that always hits the spot. Oh yeah!
I've been wanting to do a Chirpy version of my aunt's recipe since we first started this food blog. After a lot of trial and error, recooks and reshoots, the day has finally come to post it! Yay! It's finally being unleashed into the big world wide web, ready to be eaten by people from all over.
Another reason I love making this recipe for Cody and me, is because it always has enough left over to have another full meal out of it. It's like cooking two meals at once. Dinner for tonight and lunch for tomorrow. That's always a big bonus for me! Even though I love cooking more than anything, I also like to kill two birds with one stone sometimes haha, especially if it involves ~zoodles~.
Thinking about it now, we've created quite a repertoire of zoodle recipes so far. So, if you're into zoodles to an obsessive level (like Cody and I), go check out some of our other creations! If you like chicken, go for our Creamy Chicken Zucchini Pasta. If you like Ramen, you need to give our Authentic Beef Ramen with Zoodles a try. There's also our Mongolian Pork Stir Fry and a yummy Very Veggie Lasagne. Oh, and the Zucchini Fettuccine with Cauliflower Alfredo!
Uhh, that paragraph just made me think that we might possibly be overdoing the Zoodle thing. That's if there even exists such a thing as overdoing the Zoodle thing, which I don't believe there is.
Anywayyy, let's get back to this Zoodle recipe. It's quick, it's easy, it's healthy. It's just all those good things that you want out of a recipe. Plus it's delicious. If it wasn't delicious, it wouldn't be on Chirpy. So, just don't search any further. This is your dinner plans for tonight! You're welcome. 🙂
Tuna Tomato Zoodle Bake
- 4 zucchini (spiralized, should be at least 4-6 cups of zoodles)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 4 oz tomato paste (100g)
- 8 oz heavy cream (250ml)
- 2 can tuna
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (shredded)
- to taste salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Sauté the onions in a pot, in a little bit of oil until soft. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the tuna, cream, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper and stir until everything is heated up and well combined.
- Put the Zoodles into a 8"x8" baking dish and pour the sauce over the zoodles.
- Top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes and then broil for about 2 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
Tuna Tomato Zoodle Bake - Pin It!
Didn’t expect this to be as delicious as it was! Definitely making it again!
Hey! This looks delicious and like some thing I (kitchen novice) can cope with...
But I have two questions:
1. How much cream? The entire half pint pictured? I can't find it in the ingredients list.
2. Do you salt and drain your zoo does before you incorporate them in the tuna bake?
The ingredients list and method is at the very end of the post 🙂
I don't salt and drain the zoodles for this recipe. The cream/tuna/tomato sauce comes out really thick and the extra water from the zoodles loosens that up when it bakes (and saves a bit of extra effort and steps). I also used the entire half pint (250ml) for this recipe.
Hope you like it! 🙂