Is it just me or does anyone else also have those days where you can literally feel your body begging for vegetables? Those days when you realize that the closest thing to vegetables you’ve had all week was the lettuce on your Subway sub. Well, I created this recipe specifically for those days. Although, our Very Veggie Lasagne is yummy enough to feed to your family and friends even if they’re not having one of those veggies-craving days the way you are.
Mushrooms, peppers, spinach and onion form the “meat” of the lasagne, and thinly sliced zucchini is the “pasta”. Those get layered with a rich all-natural marinara (we used the Mezzetta brand) and a creamy cauliflower “béchamel”. Even typing it out makes me drool. This was an insanely delicious lasagne and it really makes you question if meat is truly necessary to make a kick-ass lasagne.
It might not be the prettiest dish we’ve ever made, but it’s definitely one of the most delicious. It was quick to prepare and quick to assemble. I may have outdone myself with this one, but I’ll let you be the judge of that.
We served our rich, bubbling lasagne with a side of our Super Green Salad and its accompanying Parsley Lime Dressing. Yep. It was a serious veggie day. I wasn’t kidding when I said my body begged me for the green stuff. It clapped in joy like a seal when I fed it this meal. Try it for yourself and you’ll see what I mean.
- 1 • large zucchini [thinly sliced lengthwise]
- 2 • onions [diced]
- 2 • bell peppers [any color diced]
- 8 oz • button mushrooms [diced]
- 1 tsp • dried thyme
- 2 cups • marinara sauce
- 1 • cauliflower head [cut into florets]
- 1/2 cup • heavy cream
- 1/2 stick • butter
- 1 • garlic clove [minced]
- 1/4 cup • water [cauliflower cooking liquid]
- to taste • salt/pepper
- Preheat oven 350ºF
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the cauliflower for 10 minutes.
- Sauté the onions, mushrooms, peppers and spinach together over a medium heat until cooked. About 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and garlic together in a small pan.
- Toss the cauliflower into a food processor and add the butter/garlic, cream and water. Blend until smooth.
- Layer all the different elements in a 8x8" baking dish in the following order: cauliflower sauce, zucchini sheets, marinara, mushroom/pepper/spinach mix. And repeat until you run out of everything.
- Top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes and then slide it under the broiler for about 5 minutes. Until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Very Veggie Lasagne – Pin it!