A simple and easy Homemade Mexican Refried Red Kidney Beans recipe. Made from scratch. Perfect for a Mexican Feast. 7 Simple Ingredients. 10 Minutes. Gluten-Free. Vegan.
This easy refried beans recipe is sure to please!
What Are Refried Beans?
Refried Beans is a popular dish consisting of mashed beans. It is a staple in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisines, but has some difference approaches when cooking the dish.
Although refried beans are sometimes referred to a “Mexican Beans”, it is a popular dish in various Latin American cultures.
Carbs In Refried Beans?
We love refried beans, and admittedly, we eat them on occasion even though we preach the Low-Carb and Keto life.
Refried Beans have 15g of carbs per 100g. They are high in fiber though, with 5g of fiber per 100g.
This means that a 100g portion of refried beans has 10g of net carbs.
Are Refried Beans Keto Friendly?
If you’re wondering whether you can have refried beans on the low-carb or keto diet, the answer is “no” in most cases.
Although beans are high in protein, fiber and other important nutrients - they have a very high carb count, making them unsuitable for low-carb and keto dieters in the majority of situations.
Can You Use Kidney Beans For Refried Beans:
Yes! In this recipe we use red kidney beans, because we absolutely love they flavor. They make a for great tasting refried beans.
Nutrition and Calories of Refried Beans.
Are refried red beans healthy?
Refried Beans are a good source of Protein and Dietary Fiber. They are low in Saturated Fat and Cholestrol.
Red Kidney Refried Beans are also rich in Vitamin C, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Manganese.
It contains about 217 calories per cup of refried beans.
When eaten as part of a balanced diet, refried red beans can be a healthy addition to your meals!
See this PAGE for more in depth data on the nutrition of refried beans.
How To Make Homemade Refried Red Kidney Beans:
Here’s how to make refried beans from scratch! We like to use red kidney beans, because we love the delicious flavor they add!
The Ingredients You Need:
- Red Kidney Beans (Cooked or Canned)
- Minced Garlic
- A Handful Of Spices
- Start by tossing all the ingredients into a small pan. (Photo 1)
- Bring everything to a boil and let it simmer. (Photo 2)
- Stir it every few minutes and smash the beans until it reaches your desired consistency. (We prefer chunkier refried beans.) (Photo 3)
- Once it’s at your desired consistency, remove from heat, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve! (Photo 4)
What Do You Serve With Refried Beans?
One of our favorite ways to enjoy these red refried beans, is the grate some cheddar cheese on top, microwave it until melted and then eat it as a dip with tortilla chips.
It’s a great side dish any Mexican meal!
- We like to spread it in a tortilla for a burrito,
- Scoop a dollop into a taco,
- A side dish to Mexican Chicken,
It’s also great as a Refried Bean Dip for tortilla chips.
Looking For More Healthy Mexican Recipes?
If this Refried Kidney Beans Recipe doesn’t tickle your fancy, we’ve got a few other healthy (low carb, keto and often paleo) Mexican recipes up our sleeves, and well as personal favorites from other great bloggers.
- Mexican Salad
- Taco Seasoning Blend
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Some recipes from other great bloggers: 11 Keto Mexican Recipes
Have You Made This Refried Red Kidney Beans Recipe?
If you’ve made this easy homemade refried beans recipe, please leave a comment and a rating. We love hearing your feedback and it greatly helps us improve our recipes!
Easy Refried Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Kidney Beans (Don't Drain)
- ¼ Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Clove Garlic (Minced)
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon White Pepper
- to taste Salt
- Add the beans (including the liquid) from the can into a medium sauce pan, over a medium heat.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients, and cook until heated through.
- While it cooks, be sure to smash the beans until they reach your desired consistency.
Tips and Tricks:
- Add vegetable stock if the refried beans get too thick.
- If it’s too saucy, just keep simmering for a few minutes longer.
- If you would like a very smooth final product - use an immersion blender.
- Draining the beans: We always buy canned beans in brine. The ingredients are beans, water and salt. Check the label.
This recipe for Refried Kidney Beans was first published on August 1, 2018 and was updated on February 19, 2020 to include detailed step-by-step instructions and faqs.