This healthy cauliflower creamed spinach casserole recipe is an easy and delicious side dish to almost anything. Only 8 Simple Ingredients and 20 Minutes needed. Gluten-Free. Low-Carb and Keto-friendly.
The Recipe Card, Instructional Video and Nutritional Information is at the bottom of the post, but don’t be too hasty! The post contains all my tips and tricks.
Mmmm spinach…. I love me some spinach, and my favorite way to eat my beloved spinach is creamed.
Traditional creamed spinach recipes, sadly, contains flour – but fear no more, because that little fact forced us to invent this AMAZING side dish recipe -> Cauliflower Creamed Spinach Ohhhh yeah!
It is definitely a firm family favorite. Yes, I say that almost every time we post a recipe, but this time it’s more true than the other times (I may or may not say that every time too, but that’s besides the point).
Most people don’t even realize they’re eating cauliflower! And that’s why this is the best healthy creamed spinach and cauliflower casserole out there! This is why…
This recipe is a surefire way to get your kids to eat vegetables, because it transforms it into something ridiculously delicious.
How to make healthy low-carb and keto creamed spinach and cauliflower?
Not only does it use just 8 ingredients, it only takes about 20 minutes to make.
Our recipe is made without cream cheese, but uses a small amount of cream and butter for an extra kick of flavor.
Step 1: Allow the cauliflower to boil for at least 10 minutes. (Photo 1)
Tip: If you’d like, you can also steam the cauliflower.
Step 2: While that cauliflower boils, sauté the onion in some butter until soft, and add the spinach. Sauté until the spinach is warmed through (if frozen), and wilted (if fresh). (Photo 2 & 3)
Step 3: As soon as the cauliflower is soft, use a slotted spoon to scoop them into your food processor and blitz it with the cream and butter. (Photo 4 & 5)
Step 4: Scrape the mashed cauliflower mix back into the back, with the spinach and onion. Stir everything together with the cheese. (Photo 6)
Step 5: Add more cheese on top, pop it under the broiler until golden and bubble, and done! Scoop it onto your plate and enjoy! (Photo 7 & 8)
This is a perfect healthy (keto and low-carb) side dish since for pretty much anything, but it goes especially well with a nice piece of steak.
It’s also pretty easy to transform this recipe in a vegan creamed spinach recipe – just omit the cheese, butter and cream. I’ve tried it that way and it definitely still packs a punch in the flavor department.
Can I have spinach on Keto?
Yes! Spinach is very low-carb and high in nutrients, making a the perfect vegetable for keto dieters.
Is cauliflower Keto?
Yes! Cauliflower is 100% keto approved. Low in carbs and high in nutrients. It’s “starchy” quality makes it a perfect replacement for potatoes, rice and even pasta!
How Do You Know When Cauliflower Is Cooked?
The best way to test if cauliflower is cook, is to stab at it with a fork or the tip of a knife. If it glides into the cauliflower easily, it is done.
Cauliflower is over-cooked when it falls apart, so be sure to only cook it until the pieces are crisp-tender.
What do you eat with healthy cauliflower creamed spinach?
Creamed spinach is a classic accompaniment to any main protein, whether it be steak, poultry or fish. The best way, in our opinion is a juicy steak. This is basically like having mashed potatoes, and many people don’t even realize they’re eating mashed cauliflower and spinach. It’s just that yummy!
Eating healthy vegetable side dishes has definitely never tasted this good.
For more healthy side-dishes, check out some of our other yummy recipes:
- Zucchini with Tomato and Parmesan
- Curry Green Beans with Feta
- Green Bean Casserole
- 3 Ingredient BBQ Mushroom Skewers
Also, go have a look at these great cauliflower recipes and roundups from other bloggers:
If you made this recipe – please leave a comment and rating. We love seeing your feedback as it helps us improve our recipes!
Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 4 cups cauliflower (we used a small head of cauliflower and cut it into small florets)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded – plus a little extra for on top)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- to taste salt and pepper
- Turn on your broiler.
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to the boil. Once it boils, add the cauliflower florets and boil for approximately 10 minutes (or until soft).
- While the cauliflower boils, caramelize the onion in a little bit of butter and oil [butter for flavor, oil to keep it from burning] until soft and translucent and and then add the spinach and nutmeg. Cook until the spinach is warmed through.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, use a slotted spoon to scoop the florets into a food processor. Add the cream and butter. Blitz the cauliflower until smooth. Taste and then season with salt and pepper.
- Now mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together, taste test and add more salt if needed, and scoop into a cast iron pan or small baking dish.
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.