This delicious low-carb keto creamed spinach uses mashed cauliflower as a creamy base, making it 100% gluten-free.
It only needs 8 simple ingredients to prepare and you can have it ready in about 20 minutes.
You will need:
- frozen spinach
- heavy cream
- ground nutmeg
- Start boiling the cauliflower for at least 10 minutes. (Photo 1)
- Sauté the onion until soft and translucent while the cauliflower boils. (Photo 2)
- Add the spinach and nutmeg to the pan. Cook until the spinach if warmed through. (Photo 3)
- Scoop the soft cauliflower with a slotted spoon and add to your food processor. (Photo 4)
- Blitz it with the cream and butter until smooth. Taste and season it with salt and pepper. (Photo 5)
- Mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together. (Photo 6)
- Add the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle extra cheese on top. (Photo 7)
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden and then your keto creamed spinach is ready to serve. (Photo 8)
Yes. Spinach is low in carbs and suitable for the keto diet.
Spinach does contain carbs, but very few. Keep in mind that spinach loses its volume when cooking. A cup of raw spinach contains about 1g of carbs, while a cup of cooked spinach contains about 4g net carbs.
Low-Carb Cauliflower Creamed Spinach
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 4 cups cauliflower (we used a small head of cauliflower and cut it into small florets)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ cup mozzarella (shredded – plus a little extra for on top)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- to taste salt and pepper
- Turn on your broiler.
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to the boil. Once it boils, add the cauliflower florets and boil for approximately 10 minutes (or until soft).
- While the cauliflower boils, caramelize the onion in a little bit of butter and oil [butter for flavor, oil to keep it from burning] until soft and translucent and and then add the spinach and nutmeg. Cook until the spinach is warmed through.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, use a slotted spoon to scoop the florets into a food processor. Add the cream and butter. Blitz the cauliflower until smooth. Taste and then season with salt and pepper.
- Now mix the cauliflower, spinach/onion and cheese together, taste test and add more salt if needed, and scoop into a cast iron pan or small baking dish.
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.