It’s not Thanksgiving without a classic green bean casserole on the table, amirite?
The problem is that most classic green bean casserole recipes found on the internet uses pre-made ingredients like cream of mushroom soup, or frozen beans.
Even if you weren’t looking for a wholesome low carb keto green bean casserole recipe, it’s always better to use fresh ingredients – fresh green beans, fresh mushrooms. You just can’t compare it!
Making a fresh green bean casserole recipe from scratch is by far the best way to go. Your family will definitely appreciate absolutely delicious taste experience of wholesome fresh goodness.
What sets this green bean casserole recipe apart from the rest is the fact that it is a healthy
Judging by the flavor of the dish, you’ll never know that this is a healthy, fresh recipe. It stands up to any of the best classic green bean recipes out there. I’m looking at French’s and Betty Crocker!
How to make Healthy Fresh Low Carb Keto Green Bean Casserole From Scratch:
Even though you’re cooking from scratch and using only fresh ingredients, this recipe is ridiculously quick and easy.
- Start by boiling fresh green beans in well salted water until fork tender.
- While waiting on the green beans, sauté onions and mushrooms until nicely caramelized.
- Chicken/vegetable stock and cream cheese goes in next!
- Once everything is combined and warm, add the cooked green beans and mix well.
- Scrape everything into a casserole dish and top with grated cheddar.
- Pop it into oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
For an optional yummy topping, I like to slice onions and coat them lightly in a bit of coconut flour. I then fry them in oil until they are golden. It’s really quick to do and adds another element of deliciousness.
The onions won’t fry super crispy, but it does definitely add very good flavor to the dish as a whole.
Healthy Low Carb Green Bean Casserole Variations:
I feel that your basic green bean casserole is the best green bean casserole, but sometimes a little variation doesn’t hurt.
So, here some ideas of ways to spruce things up a little bit:
- Bacon. Probably the most common variation is the addition of bacon. It does add a delicious spin to the recipe!
- Red Bell Pepper. Adding red bell pepper to the recipe not only gives a satisfying pop of color but the flavor of red bell pepper really complements the dish in a unique way.
- Almonds. An interesting addition to green bean casserole is adding chopped almonds, or almond slivers. Green beans and almonds are a classic duo, and it gives a satisfying crush to an otherwise monotonously textured dish.
It’s easy to stay on the keto track this Thanksgiving by cooking Keto Recipes that do not compromise any flavor!
Here’s a roundup of 10 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes for Thanksgiving to get you started on planning your perfect Keto Thanksgiving. These recipes are so delicious and I guarantee the family won’t even know they’re eating healthy versions of classic thanksgiving recipes.
Pin It! The Best Easy Low Carb Keto Green Bean Casserole!
The Best Easy Low Carb Keto Green Bean Casserole Recipe and Nutritional Facts/Calories
The Best Easy Low Carb Keto Green Bean Casserole
- 3 cups fresh green beans (sliced into smaller pieces)
- 2.5 cups button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 1 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cheddar (grated)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- to taste salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF
- Boil the green beans in well salted water until fork tender. Approximately 10 minutes. Drain the water and set aside. (IMPORTANT: The water for boiling the green beans should be WELL salted – think sea water salty).
- While the green beans boil, sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic until caramelized. Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
- Add the chicken stock and be sure to scrape all the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cream cheese and allow to melt and warm up. Taste test and add salt if needed.
- Mix in the green beans until everything is evenly combined and transfer everything into a casserole dish.
- Top with cheddar and pop into the oven until the cheese is melted and bubble. About 10 minutes.